• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Have you ever heard?

CrappieMagnet

i bought this package of baits from the Branson Missouri area while fishing for crappies at TableRock lake. Getting down to my last few...and probably the best tactic for consistantly icing cold water crappies!i hate to give out my secrets!

Has anyone heard of a bait Mann used to sell about 8 years ago called the "Mosquito Hawk"? They made them in the inch and a half size. Do you think that i could back order them, or buy their remainder of stock?i've tried to reach them and they won't answer me...how rude!

Any suggestions?

yeah, it comes in a assortment of colors...green,yellow,white,black,chartreus and pink. they are an inch and a half long. They have a short tail just beyond the wings. i"ll see if i can come up with a picture for you..

thanks!

well jiglfin, heres what i came up with. Manns has a similiar bait called the "Dragin Fly", but only make them in the 3 and 5 inch and also the 7 and a half inch size.No inch and a half's! So i guess i'm out of my favorite lure. If only i could get a bunch of peeps to request this bait?! If they only knew it's efffectiveness it has on these minnesota lakes there would be no more crappies in minnesota and Mann's would be Trillionaires! lol

i guess i don't know anything more i could do?!

thanks anyways.....
CrappieMagnet

they really do exist! i bought them bout 6-8 years ago.they make a similiar product now called the Dragin Fly but they have heads on them and the ones i have don't.They also make them only in the 3.0,5.0 and 7.5 inch . I want them in the inch and a half's.

It's a pretty cool bait.When you put them down your icehole the wings flutter on the falland that's when the big crappies hit em and they hit this bait hard...usually all i have to do is jig it up and down and it even gets the finnicky ones...

So as you can see i really want to replentish this bait again...any help would be appreciated!

CrappieMagnet

If you don't get anywhere with the factory,try going to tacklemaking dot com. Someone there should be able to create a custom mold pretty close to what you are looking for. Probably won't be cheap, but if you really need them...

Yes Mann's bait company did make a lure called the Mosquito Hawk... However that is past tense. DID... not even sure how many years ago they stopped making them. They do make that dragon fly thing but the smallest size is 3"... Sorry I was unable to find anything for you... Something you could try, MisterTwister Exude makes a product called the Nymph. Its 1.25" long and looks like this.
exude_nymph.jpg

thanks for all your time guys for looking into this for me...that bait you came up with might work.Something about the bait that was working for me is the way the wings on the Mosquito hawk flutters,with any kind of movement,they entice even the pickiest of fish. I've had bull gills even try and eat this jig,basically every kind of fish that could get their mouths around it,although i have not had to many pike try and eat it?!

well i have some ways to get this now.good luck this new year fishing and thanks for the help!

CrappieMagnet

It is possible to maybe make something very similar yourself. I've seen worm making kits and various molds from tackle craft type catalogs. I thought there was a way to make molds yourself too using gypsum. I have a couple tackle craft books at home. I'll check tonight if I remember.

Hi Crappie Magnet-

I see you've been checking out a couple of takle making sites. Be careful if you get into making your own. Making your own tackle(and rods) can be more addictive than fishing! They are great winter time hobbies to say the least.