• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glacier Natl. Park

SJB

The family and I are leaving next thursday the 12th for Glacier, We are going to be tent camping.

Any camping, sightseeing, or fishing thoughts that any one would like to share?

I doubt its open but The going to the Sun Road (I think thats what they call it) is something to see. I believe its the highest point you can drive to on the continent. We went a few years back over the 4th of july and the snow had just melted so the road was open. If you have never been to Glacier then your in for a treat. Crisp, fresh air and its light til almost 11pm. Whitewater rafting is a blast also. Dang cold water but worth it!

SJB; coincedence...my fam and i are heading for Glacier and points west on the 13th! I know...friday the 13th isn't the greatest day to start off on a long road trip:) Maybe we'll get a head start and leave thursday night! Anyway, I've read up some on Glacier, going to the sun road is the hope, but they had big snows this year and I'm thinking it's iffy. We may go elsewhere and hit glacier on the way home to give it a few extra days. I hear the lodges in Glacier are a must see, other than that, we plan on hiking in to a few scenic lakes, but pretty much winging it from there. We'll be traveling in an extended dark green dodge van...give a wave and a honk if ya see us! Have a great trip.

Wow, 14 of us are headed there 6-10 (Tuesday night). We are taking Amtrak out and back. We'll be staying at a vacation home near there. I hope the weather improves. 30-50's now.

On the GNP HSOforum they say that 15 miles on the West and 13 miles of the East sides are open. GTTSRoad is 50 miles long.

I've been looking at the different outfitters, hiking, horseback, whitewater, boat and bus tours and of course FISHING!

No licence needed in GNP, so bring a rod and spoons (no live bait) and throw a line in some of the lakes. (Rivers too high and fast now.)

We haven't decided for sure where we are going to stay, most likely two medicine or many glacier campgrounds.

the fishing poles are already packed and ready.

traveler, i will also be in a forest green dodge minivan, myself, my wife and 2 daughters. we will be arriving sunday night, we are spending 2 nights in Whitehall MT before we head to Glacier.

I've been watching the weather and the roads and hoping the going to the sun road is open by the time we are there.

The other thing we are going to do is bring the handheld gps and do some geocaching why we are there.

We are thinking about going to flathead lake also for a day.

Wow, I've been watching the weather out there, they are bracing for snow. There is a winter storm warning in effect out there.

The Going to the Sun road is still not open, there are 30 miles in the higher elevations still closed,and I'm not so sure it will be next week when we are there. Bummer!