• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Northern Pike

miss ladybug

I agree with rscabin. You may want to try a hook set up known as a "quick-strike" rig on the tip up. It has two sets of hooks that go into the minnow. Makes for sure sets and the hooks are still fairly easy to remove for CPR (catch, photo, release). Good Luck!

Tip ups are a great way to ice pike, 10-17 lb mono is my choice, dacron absorbs water making it heavy like rope and I think pike pick up on this, got a lot of run and drops till i switch to mono. 4-6 inch live sucker is hard to beat, A 8-10' sucker nearing ice out really feeds the female getting ready to spawn. A dead sisco on a quick strike rick is very productive also. If ya get board watching tip ups, use one tip up, and jig with a medium size airplane jig tiped with a 4' sucker or any other large jigging lure or spoon. Large rattle spoons work good. Inside turns near Islands, weed lines adjacent to deep water drop off's are good places to start looking. mid Feb-March Start concentrating in shallow waters near tributarie streams as large females are wanting to fattin' up for pre spawn, the more the water starts to warm in the shallows the shallower you should be. I ve caught pike with just 1-2 feet of water under the ice, but try to be quiet when aproaching a shallow tip up some people like to sprint towards a tip up mainly because their a block away from it, you dont need to cover a foot ball field. Just stay inclose to you're tip ups, running can cause a pike to drop the bait. If slow move, but before ya pick up and move drive around the area with a pick up or 4-wheeler to stir up the area a little, more often than not I've caught pike with in 15 mnts of doing this. But be curtious to any neighbors, ask if they mind you do this and explaine why chances are they'll get a hit also. Good luck, Later boar

Dead whole smelt also make great bait on the quickstrike rigs under tip-ups.
Just suspend your bait about half way between the ice and the bottom.
Good Fishing!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

Hiya!
Welcome to Fishing Mn.!
smile.gif
I have a whole bunch of things that I could tell you about fishing for Northerns,[one of my favorite fish to go after],based on my experiences, & I know there are others here who would also like to help you also. So,rather than trying to type out a general outline on N.pike fishing on the ice, I think it may be easier & definately FASTER for you to read some of the posts that have been written on the subject by many FM members over the last couple of years.
In addition to the advice you get from your posting here. It will allow you to ask some more "specific" questions, & receive specific answers.

If you want to try this "research"...
Look in the center of this page,right above your original/first post, there is a link that says "search" [it's just below the "Post Reply" button, or you can try this link:
http://FishingMinnesota.com/cgi-bin/forums/search.cgi?action=intro&default=30

Try typing in "Northern pike" , or "N.Pike", or you can add "bait", "ice", "tip-up", "quick strike rig", etc..... The page that comes up will tell you all the posts that have those words, over the time period you select(10 days,30 days,Any date, etc.) . & then once you have checked those out,you will
have a much better answer for your N. Pike Question/Req. for Advice.

If you decide not to try the search,That's fine, & I'm sure that you will continue to get great advice from all members here at Fishing Minnesota. When I come back online & check this post again, I'll see what you've decided, & what's been added to it, & possibly add some more advice/tips to any others that I see here.

I wish you the "Best of Luck!"
& hope that I have helped a little bit.

Take it Easy!
wink.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 01-03-2004).]

I started targeting them myself seriously this year, and have so far been very successful. I use a tip up while I fish for other kinds of fish, I use frozen herring that I purchased from the for sale forum(since I started using herring I have not had an outing that I havent caught northern), depth will change, but I usually put it around 10-12 ft out from weedlines, or on the sides of points. I usually drop it down about half way to the bottom.Its fun to be catchin sunnies or something and look up and see your flag. It's definitley a rush.