• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacement windows

spudhauler

Does anyone have any opinions on Hayfield Windows. I need to replace quite a few in my older home. I believe the Hayfield brand is made in Hayfield, MN? Are they good quality or shoould a guy stay with the big brand names such as Anderson and the rest?

Thanks

A Hayfield window is a vinyl window exterior with a wood interior. Anderson is normally a clad exterior, Marvin is a clad exterior with either a wood or extruded poly interior (Integrity line).

IMHO, if money were not an option, and you are going to stay there for a long time, I would go with a true Marvin (not Integrity) every time. They hold up better with their exterior paint and clad system. They are the premium line.

After Marvin, I think all windows are about the same. A Hayfield window is a price point window for budget purposes. They will be slightly less then a Anderson, or similar window.

Any way you go, decide how long you are going to own the house, and spend the appropriate dollars. Any of the above will last you 10 years without problems.

I recently did Champion. Something to look into, a great window with an excellent guarentee. But price is always an option but do shop around as I did and it will pay off.

Does anyone have any experience with Wellington windows? How about Renewal by Andersen? We need to replace some 20 year old Kolbe&Kolbe windows that are shot. To be honest, I don't think that it is the window's fault as much as it was the contractor who built the house.

We are not looking for top of the line stuff since we only plan on being in the house another 10 years or so. I would rather not have to deal with unfinished wood on the inside, although I haven't seen how the pre-finished ones look like yet.

If I have to do the staining and sealing myself, I think that I would lean toward Pella. I put one small Pella window and a patio door in last year and I thought that it was a well made unit.

As a retired contractor,with part of my work,I was plant mgr for a name brand vinyl window company.In my business I Told my customers.do not buy vinyl if your window frames are not in pristene shape.In the case of wood units,I firmly believe the windows made in Warroad,MN.are the best,with your selection second.The rest you could put in a bag,shake it up,reach in blindfolded,and would find very little difference in that unit from the rest of the bagged products.Other than big buck advertising,those are all 3rd rate quality

I recieved 2 qoutes for 12 windows installed.

Renewal by Anderson $10,022

Hayfield $6,695

Both have similar warranties with 20 year glass, etc, etc.

I'm not sure which to choose, but thinking the hayfields will be sufficient and saving $3,327 would be nice.

The only time we have installed Hayfirlds were in townouses. They are lower qualty and do not seal up as good as higher priced windows.

I agree with farmboy , go with marvin Integrity's

Quote:

"I firmly believe the windows made in Warroad,MN.are the best,with your selection second."

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about my selection of the "P" brand, or the other 2?

A Hayfield window is a vinyl window exterior with a wood interior. Anderson is normally a clad exterior, Marvin is a clad exterior with either a wood or extruded poly interior (Integrity line).

IMHO, if money were not an option, and you are going to stay there for a long time, I would go with a true Marvin (not Integrity) every time. They hold up better with their exterior paint and clad system. They are the premium line.

After Marvin, I think all windows are about the same. A Hayfield window is a price point window for budget purposes. They will be slightly less then a Anderson, or similar window.

Any way you go, decide how long you are going to own the house, and spend the appropriate dollars. Any of the above will last you 10 years without problems.

I agree with this post.

I would stay away from Andersen's new cardboard windows. The Integrity Marvin's are not worth the money, IMO, but they do make a better line and also more money.

We looked at many window replacement options, manufactures and installers over the last few months. Last week, we just replaced our windows in our home with Marvin Infinity (not Integrity) relacement windows with Everwood interior. The windows are made out of fiberglass. Gotta say, they are not cheap, but they are great windows and look very nice. The company who did the install matched the woodstain and paint colors on the window and window trim perfectly. IMO, anyone thinking of replacement windows needs to give this line serious consideration.