• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Error....error...error! I believe each person is able to bring EITHER one case of beer or a bottle in limited quantities.

Here's a quote.

You may bring in one of

1.5 litres (50.7 US ounces) of wine, including wine coolers over 0.5 percent alcohol, or

1.14 litres (38.5 US ounces) of liquor, or

a total of 1.14 litres (38.5 US ounces) of wine and liquor, or

24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounce) cans or bottles of beer or ale, including beer coolers over 0.5 percent alcohol (a maximum of 8.5 litres or 287.4 US ounces).

Bob

I think the duty is around $6-10/case, but then there is also the "provincial markup" which was over twice as much as the duty, and GST. Last year when all those fee's were said and done, it cost us $95.25 to bring 6 cases into Canada, plus the actual cost of the beer.

Bob's correct. Personally, I'd bring a case of beer and then stop at the beer store and pick up Canadian beers - my preference (I'm a light beer drinker) Labbatts Blue Light and Kokanee. Good stuff.

Bring beer from home, buy the booze up there. Much cheaper than beer is up there. A case of beer with the recycling fee etc, is over $40 u.S. now. booze is almost comparable with US prices...

Thanks for the input guys. I knew the first case or bottle was free, but come on... who can make one case of beer last 5 days? smile Two years ago, we bought our extra beer in Canada and it was close to $50 a case. I just remember it was alot cheaper to pay the duty last year, but couldn't remember how much.

I just called up to Redden's by Kenora. A case of Molson Canadian is about $36 (bottles). If I remember correctly, a case of cans is about $16 at duty free. The last couple years I paid duty on the beer like this and it wasn't that cheap. I think it was about $18-$20/case. So as you can see, it isn't that much cheaper to go duty-free when you buy extra.

Duty is set up so the price works out to about the same as buying beer at the Brewers Retail in Canada--except for the first case. MDG is about $39 per case but you can get Lakeport or Lucky Logger for about $24 per case--not that I would drink any.

Ok, guys. I couldn't take it anymore so i finally just got on the phone. The guy we buy bait from in Kakabeka Falls said Labatt's is going for $42 a case. Called customs and duty on beer brought from the U.S. is about $8 a case. With 8 guys going and each guy bringing 4 cases we will save a lot of money just taking a couple of minutes to run in and pay the duty.

I'm on board with bringing your maximum allowable amount (1 case, OR 1 bottle *1.14 liter* then buy whatever you need afterwards at the Canadian stores. Headache at Canada Customs is trumped by a few bucks more at the CDN liquor/beer store. AND our stuff is better.

Bring beer from home, buy the booze up there. Much cheaper than beer is up there. A case of beer with the recycling fee etc, is over $40 u.S. now. booze is almost comparable with US prices...

I was just up in Vermillion Bay last week and a case of Labatts went for a little over $40 and a 750ml of Crown Royal also went for over $40. I can get that same bottle of Crown for much less than that here in the states.

Higway robbery, I tell ya!!!!

It will be cheaper to bring it from home. Its sick to spend over $30/case at the duty free or in Canada.

No kidding. You are probably better off bring more alcohol and paying the $10 tax per case at the border, it's still less than paying $40 a case at a store in Canada.

I just got back from Manitoba a couple days ago. We payed about $55 duty on one case of beer and one 1.75 bottle of Brandy that we were over. It's not just a strait fee per case or bottle.

Thats what I figured Hemi!! Duty is only one tax and when you ask them they tell you it's $10 per case then they tack on about 4 or 5 other taxes with different names. They don't volunteer any of the real important info either. Canada Customs are excise agents--it's all about the money--secruity is secondary.

As expensive as it is, it is generally cheaper to pay the Vig in Canada than to bring it with you from the states.

Same is true of gasoline--try bringing a 100 gallons of gas over the border and see how bad they work you over.

kkahmann-

I'm not sure that it's cheaper to buy in Canada instead of paying the duty. I was at the liquor store on Friday and saw that a case of LaBatts Blue was $17 and change. In Canada, that same case is $40......$23 MORE than in the states. I still think you are better off paying the duty, but maybe someone from Canada can set me straight.

It's really odd when you think about it. LaBatts is a Canadian-brewed beer, yet it's cheaper to buy in the States!! Doesn't make sense....

Metro--I'm in Canada--it's a tax thing.

Every drop of gasoline in Minnesota comes from Alberta--and they sell it a lot cheaper than they do in Ontario.

I've discussed this several times with local politicians and they have flat told me I'm too stupid to understand how these commodities are priced.

What I can tell you (from my personal experiences) is that I buy beer while in the US, whether it be for an hour (on business) or for several days, visiting family is:

A case of beer is roughly $28/case after duty, and in Kenora, it's roughly $38...not to mention, more money in more remote locations.

So in a nutshell, there is a savings in the actual cost, however adding booze to your "anything to claim" while at customs, will slow you down somewhat and possibly cause more questions, searches, etc.

If you want to save ~$10/case, buy at duty free shop, or local beer store and hope for the best.

If you want to bring your "maximum allowed amount", then do so, probably get through customs with less questions and bite the bullet/support Canadian business' then do so.

It's a trade off, no matter how you skin the cat.