• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HOW TO HOLD A SPINNING REEL

mrcarp

hi i have been holding a spinning reel with my for finger ahead of the shaft of the reel . then after someone showed me the correst way is to have the reel shaft between middle finger and ring finger i have noticed all of my rods are better balanced not so top heavy even googling it showed every one holding it this way is this correct. i hope its just me being dumb because now all my rods feel great in my hands and now i can fish longer any comments

What 4wanderingeyes said.

When I cast, it's usually with the reel in between my ring and middle fingers.

However sometimes for one reason or another, I'll change position. Sometimes I'll hold it a tad differently, usually fighting a big fish, for leverage purposes.

I once observed a pro fisherman hold his baitcasting outfit upside down (reel down), back reeling his fish near the boat. I guess it shows you can't always take what you know for granted!

Advantage to having more than a single finger aheead of the reel post is that you can use the additional finger to feather the line and control your cast in much the same way as with your thumb on a baitcaster....

As stated, whatever is most comfortable for you. I have a larger spinning outfit for swimshads that I actually hold completely above the reel on the foregrip. Others I split time between the middle fingers or between ring and pinky. All in all it is how it fits best for you.

Basically hold it how the rod and reel balances and is comfortable most to you. On some of my poles I hold it different then others. Then sometimes when I have a bigger fish on, I have my entire hand above the reel for more torque. There is no wrong way or right way! Well besides the clowns you see holding them upside down!

I cant say i've ever seen anyone hold a reel upside down! but i guess whatever works for him

Have you seen The Alasken Adventure on discover? They did it. Dang city folk.

There really is no wrong way, just make it comfy for you.

Ultra light reels are smaller and I tend to use one finger ahead of the reel. Larger reel goes between ring finger and the finger finger. A guy I used to fish with had the spin caster upside down and it drove me crazy. He swore up and down me and everybody else on the lake were wrong.