• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Akeley Area

chasineyes

Very nice area to ride,a lot of trails.I ride mostly the single track stuff on dirtbike but the atv/ohm trails are nice too.Nothing too difficult that I've come across on those. You can drop in Akeley if you like,we use the trail head parking area north of the Stomping Grounds which is a good place to have lunch (great burgers ). Should be a good weekend if it doesn't rain,cool and few bugs to boot!

Dozer,

My husband is from Akeley, so we go up there a lot.

The Stompin Grounds is a good place to start (they do have good food). They have a HSOforum [Admin Note: Please read Forum Policy before posting again. Thank you] Click on Forests/Trails and there is a DNR link.

A good place to pick up a map of the Paul Bunyan State Forest is Bunyans Convenience store on the East side of Akeley on Hwy 34, before Hwy 64 goes North. They also do organized trail rides, but I'm not sure of the schedule.

If you have GPS, take it with you to draw your trail in case you get turned around up there.

Have fun - and please respect nature. We are visitors!!

We rode the area late last summer. We hit Round River Paul Bunyan State Forest, Forest Riders and others in the area. Plenty of official trails as well as unofficial trails in the area. I second the GPS idea, I am glad we had ours with last year. You can go to the DNR HSOforum and view trail maps and print the PDF's or when you have more time give them a call and request a book of all the maps for the trails in the entire state!! I believe they are FREE!!