• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The famous red and white daredevil

Hey northern fans glad to see we finally have our own northern page. Any way I have a couple of questions. First who invented the red and white daredevil and what year. And I know everybodys tacklebox has one and people still use them and have great sucess with the red and white but my question is why? Is it the color or flash or vibration in the water? Just a couple ? I thought would make a good topic. Love the site keep up the good work guys. wink

The Dardevle just celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2006.

It was patented in 1912, but was in use (supposedly) by the inventor, Lou Eppinger as early as 1906. His spoon design was a little different from other makers at the time and it really caught fish. The design caused a unique action that nailed predator fish. He called the lure the "Osprey" after the great fish-cathing bird.

Around 1918, towards the end of World War I, the name was changed to "Dardevle" in honor of the "Dare Devils," a nickname given to the 4th Marine Brigade by the US Marines in WWI.

The red and white dardevle is the most popular color, due to the color imitating a wounded and bleeding fish (easy prey).

If you notice, the lure "wobbles", but never fully spins over. This is the action that is deadly.

Sppons still do and always should have a place in every tackle box. When the going gets tough on Red spoons are my go to or search baits. I even down rig them during the hot dog days. Run it down three feet off the bottom behind the ball and go crazy with the trolling motor. The old red and white, five of diamonds and basic silver and gold should come with any tackle box.

Can you tell that I collect old lures?

Amazing how well this lure still works on fish and how many copies are made of it.

Still works fantastic, just like many of the other old classics that can never be dupicated...like the Bass Oreno, Jitterbug, River Runt, Rapala...etc.

HammerHandle if you retrieve them fast enough certain brands will start to turn over. They'll dive, dart to the left, all kinds of erratic motion when they do. There's been days when the solution was burning a spoon over weeds.

Also my dad had a favorite lure that isn't made anymore, the old Heddon Supersonic. Know anything about that one? He's tried similar looking baits but they haven't done as well. Know what the closest thing to it would be?

Bigger spoons also make great topwater baits. Once you get the hang of it you can skip and skitter them across the weed tops then drop them right off the edge of the weeds. Great Leech Lake trick for the heavy cabbage and the milfoil/cabbage on White Bear Lake.

Yes, I know about the Heddon Supersonic.

My favorite lure is the Heddon River Runt.

Both are no longer made as Heddon was sold and is now owned by a company called PRADCO.

I am lucky and stocked up on a lot of River Runts. There is imitations, but they don't work the same. Some rare colors of Super Sonics can sell for a lot, but most are reasonable if bought on hsolist.

I amy even have one or two that I could spare. It would be a good Father's Day gift, wouldn't it?