• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new State Record?

grab the net

You'd think they'd just puncture a lip and then say the other treble made the other puncture. I've had bass on muskie baits that I've hooked both in the mouth and more than halfway down the side of a fish, so it is possible.

How could you have caught it when I did?

It was 10-12 and I decided to let it go as it was illegall hooked (not in the mouth).

Funny, someone claims they caught a world's record bass and used a simular story. The only picture they took was the guy "straight arming" a bass. Nice fish, but the straight arm made it look silly. And, not a world record.

That was a world record bass that was released because it was foul hooked, that wasn't a fish story

I don't believe the fish was a world record though.

It may have been a nice fish, but judging from the pictures they took of it...far from the world record.

Now they claim they found this same fish dead in the lake. Of course, it was much smaller than they thought, but the original catchers of it said it was fatter when they caught it.

Sounds like a fish story to me.

That fish was caught several times and weighed on official scales. That one fish holds several spots in the top 10 biggest bass list and I believe one if not both are over 20lbs.

A fish that is unhealthy and dying is going to lose weight. If it was 19lbs at death I believe it could have been at world record weight at one point.

Are you talking about "dottie" the one from lake dixon in California? Is so, that fish was a world record fish. It weighed 25lbs. California law says fish must be hooked in the mouth. That fish was hooked outside the mouth and would not have been legal. Thats why it was released. and it didnt weigh as much when they found it becasue it had been dead for awhile. Plus when it was caught is was full of eggs. 2nd time they caught it by the way. His buddy caught the same fish a fews years prior when it weighed around 20-21lbs.

But, it was foul hooked so it did not count. And, it was not an "official" scale. And, no measurements were taken. If you thought you caught a world record fish, wouldn't you take measurements? There was also a lot of other controversy surrounding the catch and the fisherman...so I am glad the fisherman are not able to claim the largest bass. I am glad to see they released the fish though.

This same fish was caught a few years earlier and was claimed to be 23 pounds. When officially weighed, it was 21 pounds, 11 ounces. Could it have grown more? Maybe, maybe not.

Several states including Texas and California have programs to produce the next world record in some of their lakes. The lake this fish was caught was one of them.

These same men have worked constantly to catch this fish on this "farm" lake. They scout the lake all the time, and have even bribed people not to fish for "Dottie" when they find where she is spawning (very small lake). People from the shore say that the man who caught her off the bed "tried to set the hook over 5 times before it was caught". After caught, the men motored to the middle of the lake and appeared to discuss what to do next. Then, they came to the shore...weighed it and released it. A certified scale was available, but they did not want to use it.

The 22 pound, 4 ounce record fish was certified and measured. Being it was 1932 and the height of the depression, the fish was going to be eaten until the fisherman heard of $$ he could win by entering a Field and Stream contest. He won the contest...and $75 in fishing equipment. And, the fish was still eaten.

I guess when it is all said and done, it was a huge fish...but the old world record still stands. It is hard to tell the size of the fish by the picture too, as the fisherman took the picture straight-armed, so you can't compare the size to anything but the mans hand. The picture of the world record fish (one recently turned up) looks much larger in my opinion. And, the fish was not "farmed" to get it to be a large size.

The record will be broke some day by a "farm" fish...which is too bad. I like the ideal of a 19-year-old poor farm boy with only one lure in his tackle box fishing for meat for the table to hold the record forever.

Has anyone even mentioned the name of the lake this occured on. I read ever post and saw nothing, so its gotta be a lie...

Keep em coming though. I need some idea for when I come home if I don't catch anything good.

Moe, the pic in my avtar is a muskie and it also made great table fare. wink

What's the deal with all of these big bass not being documented properly?! How hard would a foul hooked 20+ lber fight? It's not foul hooked if there's atleast one hook tear in the mouth. Maybe Perry had mob connections and that's why all these crazy 'almost record' stories are floating around. For now, I'm in hot pursuit of a new state record rock bass!

The Lee, it was caught from Lake Dixon in Cali. Its a small lake that is electric motor only. Its stocked with trout, like many cali. lakes and the bass gorge themselves on the stocked trout and grow to be supersized.

Hammer, I have only heard of texas doing the Lunker program are you sure California is doing it, too?