• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Marmot

Idiots on the ice

...I suggest avoiding Pelican Lake by Breezy Point.

The couple of times I have ice fished Pelican; there were several knot heads who thought Pelican was on the NASCAR circuit. I am not sure if it was the local village idiots or vacationers. I am guessing it was some of each as there were several cruising around for s#its and giggles.

Marmot

[This message has been edited by Marmot (edited 01-02-2004).]

Awe come on guys, I don't have any real problems with this, as long as the ice is ok, in most cases in the metro it's not really, and as long as they don't endanger anyone else life but theirs.

Far be it from me to try and tell people to not have any fun.

Ice fisherman drinking beer all night then driving home scare me much much more, sleepy people driving scare me even more.

Yeah people drove by us last night, people were whipping cars around the lake, it seemed to spook the fish a little, they still bit and the quieter things got the better the fishing seemed.

I don't own the lake nor does anyone, we all do, and as bad as it is recreation is a valid use of a lake, as much as fishing is.

Hey if they want to be stupid and endanger themselves and their passenger so be it, just do the he11 away from me mad.gif

I go fishing to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet away from the hub bub of work and the entrapments of life. Don't want to be worrying of some dolt is going to mow down my ice house with me in it. It is more than a little hard to control a speeding vehicle on is and even harder to regain control when some is doing donuts frown.gif

I really don't begrudge someone having a blast on the ice and doing donuts and all that dump, but keep away from other people on the ice!! As a matter of fact I have done that and may still at some time or another, but not near anybody else smile.gif

No ice in central IL (yet), so I need to use my imaginization. I have heard of vehicles going through though, I hope that doesn't happen near you.

On open water, I have a similar complaint about water-skiers. Solution: Kevlar line and a Zara Spook.

(Just kidding - I wouldn't want to lose a $5 lure. . .)

Paul

[This message has been edited by P Gottshall (edited 01-02-2004).]

I can NOT honestly say I have never whipped a snitty out on the ice.Never raced a snomoblie across the ice or went to an ice drag.
I also taught my daughter how to handle a car on slippery roads by taking her out on a frozen lake so she could get the feel of what happens in a slide.Thats how my dad taught me too.Plus it was fun! smile.gif
Every owns the ice not just the fisherman.
That being said...Those out there joy riding should have some respect for the fisherman, and stay clear!

"As long as they don't endanger anyones life but their own" I have to say if they do go thru near me it will endanger my life because theres no way I'll sit and watch to see if they get out. I will be there as fast as possible to help, even if I don't like what their doing.

Brian

Not to sure on this But I would think that
is still considered wreckless driving or
unreasonable acceleration (on ice shouldn't make it any different)
jimBo

I agree that the ice is there for everyone, but I see no reason for cars, trucks, sleds, or ATV's to come screaming thru the fishing "village". I always make a point of idling by fish houses that are in the path of my destination. I think common sense and courtesy should prevail.

i was on a lake this weekend and it was border line if there was enough ice to drive out.Well when i was getting checked by the DNR a car came out on the ice just flyin across the lake and the officer looked at me and said "every year we need statistics"

Why is it that people think they need to go onto the ice, not to fish, but to come around the people who are fishing and whip around in their cars/trucks? Does give them that much of a thrill that they have to endanger not only themselves, but everyone around them? It really ticks me off sometimes, especially knowing on most lakes its still questionable whether or not to drive out. I'm getting tired of this stupidity.

"when i was getting checked by the DNR a car came out on the ice just flyin across the lake and the officer looked at me and said "every year we need statistics""

EXACTLY

as long as these thrill seekers stay away from me, I think theres nothing wrong with having a little fun. come on, lots of use on this site have done some exciting things on the ice, we need to loosen up a bit. now if they are screwing up my fishing outing, or anyone other fishermans, then I would be ticked off. remeber lake ice is public, they have the same rite as us to be there, and there is a speed limit of 50 mph for sleds, which, I don't think many cars or trucks will travel. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

In Duluth we have Ice races on the St Louis Bay. These are hopped up small cars and trucks with studded tires on a plowed coarse. Well when I was a teen ager with a Honda Civic I couldnt resist seeing what my car could do on the ice after the hours. Hey there was no one fishing and the only one that got hurt was me and a buddy and he wanted to hit the circut as bad as me. Darn right get out there and test your driving skills on the ice. Duluth is built on a hill and we have the best winter drivers in the nation if not the world. Any how get out and do snitties on the ice, just stay away from everyone else.
Mario Andretti drivers are fine on a race track but not around a fishing village. As anything "theres a time and place".