• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two Stroke or Four Stroke

I see you guys are talking about "used" motors. I just wanted to point out rebuilds specifically. I've used rebuilds a few times now and have had good luck with them and saved a bunch of money too. If you can find a nice one that someone will warranty as well then you also have peace of mind.

Having a multi-year warranty is nice, no doubt. But when you are fishing in Canada MILES from civilization and your motor seizes leaving you with a 9 year old kid sitting in the boat and trying to figure out how in the heck you are going to get back to the dock, having a good warranty doesn't mean anything. Piece of mind, IMO, is knowing that you have a dependable motor on the back of your boat that hasn't been mistreated by a previous owner.

I was lucky that my uncle happened by when he did....I'm sure there are plenty of good deals on re-built motors out there, but like I said before, I'm a little gun-shy right now.

JHOL brings up an interesting point many people don't consider. I believe bigger is always better, espiacially with fuel milage. How about this scenerio:

The four stroke 115 will probably be running at WOT alot more than the 150 DFI. You say speed isn't a huge priority, but with the 115 taking longer to plane out means more time at WOT. The 150 DFI with "jump" out of the hole better, making it much easier to throttle down to a cruising speed. At 4000rpm's the 150 DFI will always get better fuel milage than the 115 four stroke at WOT.

I belive this is something people don't consider enough when looking at underpowering a larger boat. Just my 2 cents.

JHOL brings up an interesting point many people don't consider. I believe bigger is always better, espiacially with fuel milage. How about this scenerio:

The four stroke 115 will probably be running at WOT alot more than the 150 DFI. You say speed isn't a huge priority, but with the 115 taking longer to plane out means more time at WOT. The 150 DFI with "jump" out of the hole better, making it much easier to throttle down to a cruising speed. At 4000rpm's the 150 DFI will always get better fuel milage than the 115 four stroke at WOT.

I belive this is something people don't consider enough when looking at underpowering a larger boat. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input. When you are saying that a 115 will take longer to plane out at WOT, how much longer do you think? Are we talking a second or two? I've seen some tests run with a 115 EFI that indicate a boat approximately my size would take about 3-4 seconds to plane if I'm running relatively light...(it's usually just me, a kid, and maybe another adult). Also, if I just fill the forward livewell and leave the stern well empty, shouldn't that help?

I really appreciate all the advice being thrown my way...

Maybe if you take out a few seats, get a smaller anchor, don't bring any tackle, one rod each, cut the kids rods down to snoopy poles, leave the net home, only run with 2 gallons of gas, no extra clothes or towels, make everyone go on a diet, no snacks, no ice in the cooler...maybe even scrape a little excessive metal off the hull and transom? GET A BIG ENOUGH MOTOR FOR YOUR BOAT!!! grin

What about the Merc 135 Verado?

Here's my situation...I bought this boat/motor package two years ago from a local dealer. Part of their sales pitch was that I was getting a good deal on this Optimax 135 because it had only 40 hours running time on it and should be in great working condition. The motor was 8 years old at the time I purchased it. Well, 29 hours later the connecting rod snapped and basically the motor is totally hosed...and so am I. I am trying to work out a deal with the dealer to help me out with the purchase of a new motor...with a very long warranty.

I called Mercury, and they basically told me to F off because the motor is 10 years old.

Right now, my biggest constraint is cost. I'm going to try and get a 135 Verado for the cost of a 115....does that seem more than fair to people around here?

I know with that Supercharger, the Verado should have more jump from the hole...what do you guys think about that?

Wow... 40 hours of use for 8 years? 5 Hours per year? Are you sure the dealer was giving you a straight story on that? That seems ridiculously low!

Anyway, getting the 135 verado for the cost of a 115 will be pretty difficult I would think. You may get some help from the dealer, but I'm thinking it still won't come close to the same price between the two. I do think you should be able to get a little bit of some form of compensation from the dealer you bought the motor from since they give you a pitch about how great this motor is with only 40 hours on it.

Regardless, the 135 verado will be a huge improvement over a 115 and should do a good job for you performance wise. At least now you're within the 75% of max hp rule of thumb.

Good Luck!

marine_man

Yeah, what I was told that a guide originally purchased this boat package as well as a Lund Baron for the bigger water. He ended up using the Baron more and using the Pro V very little and decided to trade it in along with his Baron for a newer Baron and that this boat was basically sitting in his garage not being used.

Evidently, they can hook these motors up to a computer and track the entire operating history of it. I was told that it was in great condition and that it should last me a long time....it lasted me a total of 29 hours.....