• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much fish do you have in the freezer?

Lunker

Seeing and hearing about people taking multiple daily limits, I wonder how much fish people eat fresh or stack up in their freezers. I love to eat fish, my favorites being gills, pike, and crappies(no I'm not a big fan of eating walleyes, and yes I was born in this state wink.gif) I have no problem with people who fish for meat, or are all catch and release. My personal beliefs vary on the lake, area, pressure, species, etc. I will keep fish, but not all the time. I have 2 ziplocs containing fish in my freezer, one containing a small pike, and one with 6 gills. Each of these bags will constitute one meal for my household. That is my limit, until these fish are eaten I will keep no more. Just curious to what others think about this subject.

I don't have any fish in my freezer, I don't eat 'em, I love them too much. Seriously though, the only fish I do like to eat are trout, kind of strange, since they have kind of a fishy flavor, I think it's the texture.

One slimer, two walleyes and eight crappies (crappies in two packages). we have two licences and my wife catches her own. This is more than normal for us, but fishing was very good this holiday season.

Don't forget if you catch 10 crappies in the morning and eat them for lunch you can't catch any more that day.

Right now, I have about three walleyes, a limit of bluegills, one laker and a few crappie in my freezer. I ate fish twice in the last week. I fished today and released them all. Not too hard when all you foil is an 8" walleye and small perch....Keeping a small cache in the freezer is always incentive to go fishing for me. Besides that, they're much better when only kept a short time. It would kill me to have to throw any out because they stayed frozen too long.........

Aquaman.....How do you fix redhorse? Do you use the cedar board recipes? (Put fish on board, cover with foil after seasoning and adding butter, cook @ 350 for 45 minutes, remove from oven, remove redhorse from board and then eat the board?).........T

It gets you thinking when people you know have a huge fish fry every year. When I go to them I have to think if they ever wonder about their possession limit. Mabye I am wrong who knows?
Lets not start a shouting match again over possession limits.

Right now I have 25 crappies in the freezer. I generally don't have any fish in the freezer, because I usually eat them within a couple days of catching them.
It is nice to have some back up fish for the days you want fish but don't have any fresh ones after a day of fishing.

gill man

Eat the board - that's funny!
No...the Redhorse are a head-start on my frozen cut-bait stocks. Not as good as fresh cut-bait, but reliably on-hand. Makes good emergency aquarium food, too.

Rob

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 01-02-2004).]

Well i think i can almost open up a small store from my freezer. I have walleyes, perch,gills, steelhead, salmon, but the only thing i am missing is a nice brown trout, hehe but i prefer them fresh of course!

CYB
"Fish are friends, not food" ??

Since when did you become a bunnyhugger?

(So as not to start a big uproar amongst everyone else. Please understand that Cyb and I are close personal friends and this is good natured ribbing, NOT a personal attack.)