• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LET ME VENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is for all the IDIOTS who think that only about a foot of ice is O.K. to drive on. I just got back from the south end of Chisago off of Cty. 83 and there are just to many NiceGuys who think it is safe to drive full size trucks not more than 10 ft. past my portable and/or other peoples houses. If you IDOITS!!!!!! like to take your lives in your hands that is fine with me, but let me have a say about my own life. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest and what do the rest of you think about this? SCHEUNEY

12" of ice will carry most heavy pickups, if the temps are below freezing. If there is a lot of traffic in the same area it weakens the ice and it becomes unsafe. Driving close to a fish house is annoying to say the least. I have driven 100's of miles on 10" to 12" ice, but stay away from heavy traffic, crossing a live ice crack, you can go down with 24" of ice. Be aware!! I hear you on the traffic going close by your house, its time to move or quit.

I saw people driving full size rigs on Medicine Lake in the metro today. I pulled my stuff out from shore by foot. These people were only driving a short distance to get to the fishing area too. It's not only stupid but it's awful lazy if you ask me. And there was 8" of ice on the lake......Sheesh!....T

Maybe if they had to get a permit to drive on lakes this would limit some of them. You could also make some lakes with no vehicles allowed. I wish we could ticket people for no common courtesy. Every good fisherman knows noise and fishing don`t mix. Look at how careful we are in the summer but come winter lets have a party. Keep the party at home, the lakes are for FISHING not parting. It seems to me common courtesy has gone out the window and it`s turning into me, me, and me only not respespecting others. Something needs to change. Fish On

Had a guy blow past my house at 30mph in a suburban with a trailer on 12" of ice this morning. Wanted to ring his neck, not worried about the thickness of the ice when someone is driving slow and away from my house, but driving too fast creates an underwater wave and can cause the ice to fail. Army Corps of Engineers and the DNR both recomend not more than 9mph on the ice to keep the underwater waves to a minimum.
Andy

maybe he was thinking that it would be better to drive fast so the ice dosn't have time to bust;-)

I also hate when snowmobiles seem to have to ride by close to you while fishing. they have the whole friggin lake, there is no reason for them to ride or drive so close to ya.

Its with anything that becomes more and more popular. The more people you have doing something the more stupid people you get.

I guess in a way it could be nature's way of protecting the gene pool grin.gif...lol

I heard on the news tonight (KMSP) that a pickup went in northwest of the cities someplace. Everyone was ok.

I dont agree with a permit to drive on lakes, but I do like the idea of just closing some lakes to traffic. The only problem I see with that is how the people with bigger houses would get them out. A couple of the lakes I fish, the distance from landing to where the fish are is not much of a jaunt, so driving is somewhat senseless.

They say 7 out of 10 people are stupid, so like someone else said, the more people that fish, that whole 7 out of 10 ratio can get out of hand!

As far as fools driving close to a house, I think that sucks. Same with snowmobiles. Its almost as annoying as the jerkoffs on jetskis that have to buzz your boat in the summer time. Thats what the 4 oz sinkers are in by tackle box for. (Kidding... sort of)

If God wanted us to "play" on the water (jet skis, snow mobiles) he would not have put fish in it! (kidding again)

I could not agree more with the posts suggesting limiting driving on the ice. I was fishing Forest Lake yesterday and was there and set up by noon. About three o'clock here comes all the traffic, including some full size pickups, causing the ice to flex up and down (very nervewracking). Also, all of the snowmobilers decided to come just at prime time (about 3:30). They zipped up and down the ice at full throttle over and over. I was so annoyed that I had to leave. I understand that snowmobilers have a right to be there, but why not be courteous to the people who were there first? I would suggest a limitation on snowmobiles during peak fishing times.

I was on clear lake (near Montgomery) and there was 11" of decent ice, not good, but decent, top 2-3" is all refrozen slush. All sorts of people driving around, from econo boxes to 3/4 ton trucks. Needless to say, I walked.

Some people have more money than brains, was on a lake last week, there was 8-10 inches of ice. in one small area there was at least a dozen full size rigs all bunched together. just to fish for a chance to hook into something. they could buy alot of fish for what it would cost them to have their truck pulled out of the lake.

some people are alive, simply because its against the law to kill them.

O

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!! My son and I were on Minnetonka on Wed. afternoon/evening, there is about 12" of ice in the area we were in so it's probably safe enough to drive but some jerk came by driving his Ford Taurus within 15-20' of where my son and I were sitting on our buckets. The ice was going nuts cracking and my son and I both got very nervous. My biggest complaint was he could have stay farther away than that, there was 1/4 mile to one shore and more than that to the other, there was no need to drive right next to us.

Ole

you all know why they have to drive right past us..........there looking for the fish you've tossed out the door of your house. so that way they can set up shop just outside your window and you can watch as there flea riddin' mutt plays with your dinner. i swear the next dog that comes near me on the lake i'm gonna boot and if there owner gets mad i'll boot him to. don't get me wrong i'm a dog guy, i just don't care for them running loose on the lake. tuesday night after dark some retard came flying out onto the ice, (10")he hit a pressure ridge and i swear to god he caught some air. they stop in the middle of the lake pile out, there drunk, and start screaming. anyway they fish for like 45 minutes and leave. stuff like that makes me just want to stay home.

No ice in central IL yet, but I can relate. I have the same issue with water-skiers in the summer.

Solution: Kevlar line & a Zarra Spook. . .

Ohhh. . . that's not very nice. I can't believe I said that (outloud).

Paul

[This message has been edited by P Gottshall (edited 01-02-2004).]

I think most of the problems are kids and idiots. Kids out doing donuts and drinking. Gets pretty bad on Waconia some nights. Next time they misbehave I may call the sheriff/police and a few underage drinking tickets might cause some courtesy. Hate to do it to them -I was young once-but a few years ago I had some kids lose control of their vehicle and dang near hit me at fulls speed driving on the ice. I had to leave the ice road just to avoid an accident. Should have taken the license and called the parents.

For idiots, we have to get the DNR to do more. I think some of it is drinking on the water. Otherwise it is a lack of understanding of things we know or have learned and don't partake in the bad behaviors.

The DNR would be wise to have a campaign showing courtesy on the ice. Respect others, keep some distance between houses, don't litter, and don't drive near others. Brochures in the baitshops, commercials and maybe we can avoid an accident, fight or someone going through the ice.

walleyehawk,
Many years ago, maybe 18-20, my fishing buddy and I were icefishing on Waconia in the early morning. We were set-up off the island and doing ok on Crappies and we got a couple of jacks on the tip-ups. Anyway as it got light out we noticed several fishhouses that had extensive damage done to them, when I say extensive I mean splinters of plywood all over the place!!!! 3-4 of them didn't even have walls standing. At mid-morning the CO showed up to check us out and we started BSing, I asked what the hack was going on with the mess on the ice. Here's his reply, "Last night there were several cars of kids on the ice, drunk, running their cars all over doing doughnuts and smashing into the fishhouses, including a 4x4 truck that drove right through the side of a fishhouse". Now can you imagine if someone had been in the house sleeping over night?

Ole

About 10 years ago the dnr in Michigan at one of our main ice fishing lakes began writing tickets for vehicles on the ice with no orv stickers. This included quads and 4 wd pickups/blazers, but not 2 wd pickups and cars. That didn't last very long as the local judge threw all of these tickets out.

DougV>

The main reason people come by so close with trucks,ATV's and snowmobiles when there is plenty of space to give some room is that they are idiots,plain and simple.There are a certain percentage everywhere you go,whether it be the lake,the mall,the roads,etc.Luckily the majority of the fishermen on the ice are pretty cool.Good Luck Fishing!!!

was out fishing this evening on mitchell/big lakes in big lake, and there is only about 9-10 inches of ice, and there were full size pickups out on the ice, what a bunch of idiots. with the warm weather we had today, any spring or current could have reduced that fast. I was taking it easy on my ATV.

Heres one we got going in our neck of the woods.. weve been driving out on our small local lake for a couple weeks. People (mostly portables with out of state and some mn liscence plates) keep setting up in or within 5 ft of the already established trail. Whats up with this? Dont look at me like I'm the doorknob for driving so close to your house, get off your lazy butt and get away from the road! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

A speed limit sounds like a good start. That goes for cars, trucks, snowmobiles, and any vehicle. If they want to be stupid I guess we will have to treat them that way and put speed limits on ice. For safety reasons I think it a great idea. We all complain about it, now what can we do about it? We need to get something started!!! Fish On