• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catbird Couple

Very nice shot. I've never seen 2 catbirds together before. Heck, just seeing one is rare for me. I'm surprised they're both so sharp, considering the aperture used.

Well the image is heavily cropped but I was surprised both were in focus, that never happens to me, ha. But I looked again at where they are sitting on the branches, I think they're actually level with each other.

DOF, given a constant aperture, increases as the subject is farther from the camera.

In other words, at 280mm and just past the minimum focus distance of the lens, f6.3 might give a DOF of an inch or less. If the subjects are 50 feet from the lens, DOF at f6.3 will be a good bit deeper.

On occasion, if a photographer needs to get multiple elements of a photograph in focus and can't afford to lose the shutter speed that a stopped down aperture will deliver, the photographer can back farther away from the subjects, deepening DOF, and achieve a closer look by cropping later in pp, which will surely compromise the ultimate size of a print but can render more things in focus.

Also, both these birds look to be within a fairly narrow focus plane anyway.

Steve, You just totally lost me. I had to read that several times to make sure it wasn't latin. Great little tutorial after I studied it for a bit. confused