• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fish Finders

NewFisher

Well I am getting the hint that the Vex and Marcum are the two main favorites for ice fishing. I just cannot spend that much right now on a fish finder. I was thinking that I could find a cheaper one that mounts on a boat and modify it to use on the ice. I figure I would need a milk crate, 12V battery, metal rod to mount the transducer, and a place to mount the LCD. Please let me know if this is idea will work or not. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Craig

Got mine at a pawn shop. Many models available at Less than half price. I shop the pawn shops in princeton and zimmerman, I know I can trust the owner of these two and he gives a 30 day warranty.
Andy

A flasher is the best for ice fishing hands down.
I would suggest finding a used one that fits your budget if possible.

I did start out using a cheap LCR years ago.I can't remember the model but it had a "fast trak" sytem that gave it real time sonar with no delay.You would see fish as a long bar across the screen.If the fish rose the bar rose.It would also pick up your jig so you could see the relation of the fish to your jig.The biggest problem with it was that if there were several targets on the screen you could not pick out each target.You also could not tell if the fish was "on" your bait.It could be at the same dpth but anywhere in the cone.
It was better than having nothing.
If you get a LCR sonar then I would suggest that it have an option for real time display.

I used an LCR for awhile 'til I broke down and bought an FL-18 last year. It was certainly MUCH BETTER than having nothing at all. It provided additional confirmation to my inactive bobber that there were no fish below, but did certainly give early warning of potential customers. The trick with mine was to get the transducer line up right, and then mess with the display modes & sensitivity to give me the fastest relay time possible (NO FISH ICONS! -- just blips/lines). It did work quite well with one exception: you need to be in a heated shelter or the LCD display is too slow. Bottom line ... if it's all you've got or all you can afford, make the best of it, it WILL help. But a Vex, Marcum, (& others), are easier to set up, operate, and get real-time information from on the ice. All comes down to bottom line and how much you can justify to the wifey that you really NEED it. Have fun and maybe catch a fish in the process! --Matt

I went out on a limb and picked up a zercom RTS on hsolist. Think I paid about $30. It's new in the box. The company is out of business, but you can still get some parts for it. I also picked up an ice ducer on clearance at a local store ($10), and a battery for $19 at Gander. My buddy had an old Vex carrier that I mounted it to, and whalaa, a cheap, but effective flasher. An interesting thing about it is that you're looking at a vertical bar rather than a round pattern. I think this more accurately represents the water column. It's also in black/white, but I don't find it too bad. Granted, it's not a fancy one, but it was a cheap intro set-up. Good luck.