• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snells?

Alan

Can someone please explain these to me? I see them on the racks, but not really sure what the purpose of them is? A hook with a 8" leader with a loop on the end...

Someone?...what's special about these? What are they used for?

I use them for riggin' lindy's but usually make my one. For walleyes I will use anwhere from a 3' to 8' snell depending on where I'm fishing. You can put the loop through a swivel hook on your line. You put your weight on before the swivel. If you loose one it will usually break the snell. Still have weight and swivel. When you drop it down you will be fishing off the bottom the length of your snell with a crawler, worm or leech. I drop them right over the side of the boat just so I can feel bottom. Then slowly move it up and down as you troll. Awesome rig for eyes. I don't think I've ever fished with an 8" snell before. 18" is probably the least I would go.

Shallow water if you want your bait on the bottom and not floating thats when I use the short short ones I almost use it like a jig cast it out and drag or hop it back!

I once found some sort of statistics on the net that said snells catch at a higher rate and/or it was lower rate of 'lost' fish.. I forget which... (as compared to what, I'm not sure) and I'm feeling lazy on trying to find it... maybe someone else has seen it though.

I use the 8" when fishing off the dock up at the cabin. I attach a sinker above it and bait it with a shiner. The shiner ends up just off the bottom struggling against the sinker. It works great every spring for opener.

A Snell works well to secure a spawn bag or yarn when river fishing for salmon or steelhead. If the Snell is tied properly there is a loop at the eye for the bag or yarn. A Snell also points the hooks in the right direction when tying multi-hook crawler harnesses.

The guy that taught me to tie a snell always said you are not a real fisherman until you can tie a multi-hook Snell with all hooks spaced exactly the same.

snell = pre-tied hook

usually have loop on end of line but not always

And what's the loop on the end for? I never thought it was strong enough to simply clip a snap swivel on. Or is it?

A buddy and I tied on 9 to 10 ft snells while Lindy riggin Mille Lacs this weekend. We were one of VERY few boats catching fish (that we could see). I usually increase the snell length the tougher the bite is. And, slow the boat down in the same scenario...

Good luck...