• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roof Vents

The_King48

Steel vents are the best, besides a ridge vent.

Turbines very easily can leak.

This is a common problem in most houses that are older. Proper ventilation is key.

Just my opinion, (I'm no roofer) but I agree with Roofer, my dad has the turbine style, and they have been kind of a pain. I've been up on his roof more times to mess with them than I care to think about. Usually its because the bushing areas dry out and they squeak, or sometimes squeal steadily until you go up and lubricate them. This past summer we noticed it was not turning so I went up and found the support brackets for the shaft had cracked and broke so we had to replace the whole thing. When it was off you could clearly see that moisture had frequently been on top of the insulation. I think the concept of them is good, but the functionality isn't up to par. I'd go with stationary steel vents or ridge vents.