• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird Smart Cast?

SCCO9803

Has anyone tried one of these yet? I was thinking of using one of these ice fishing. They make a portable one with a carrying case and floating, wireless transducer. Just wondering how they work and if they are easy interfeared with by other depth finders such as: vex, marcum, etc. Let me know what you know or think. Oh they are realtively reasonable at $160 (if they work).

SCCO:I have the original SmartCAST and used it on the Ice, works Great!! I didn't have the trouble with the cord or float like before. Also you can put the screen anyhwhere in the shack without loosing the signal.. "Try it, you'll like it" ....Kaz

I'm still looking for any input on the Humminbird smart cast. I read that you aren't to use it ice fishing, or in cold temps, but I was wondering if people use them in ice houses. Since the house is heated the cold wouldn't be a problem. Any info help would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that the Vexilar, Marcum is the best for ice fishing. I'm just wondering if this is a cheaper alternative, for shack fishing. All I want is something to give me depths, and show if some thing swims by. I spent alot of money on my GPS, so $300 is not an option. I am simply wondering if anyone has used these ice fishing in shack before, and if they work. Any info is greatlt appreciated.

SCCO and Husker: I never tried threw the ice, as I have the Flashlight one. I don't think it would work though, because the transducer doesn't have a flat bottom. As for using them for Ice Fishing, well I use mine in the heated house were the temp is 70 or so, I have the thermostat set there and it's pretty stable. The main concern is that if it gets real cold, the liquid crystal display may crack. I have a LCD on one of my radios, but it never had any problems except it is very slow to respond when really cold. I'd try it....Kaz