• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallies on Ice - NEW

Rick

Hi Rick,
The article against taking winter smallies is the In fisherman October-November issue. It is on Page 29. The Smallie after release has problems coming up form depths and In general it relates to there loss of strength in the fight in the winter. That said it is suppose to hurt them during there pre ice out spawn season? It didnt exactly refer to rivers. You have to read the article it is quite extensive and has fishery bioligists telling what there opinions are. I think if you can pull them out in the summer why not winter. So what if they are easier to target. I really dont think they are easy at all! I took the article with a grain of salt, every one has an opinion.
Da-Roc

First of all these fish are not located they are swimming everywhere. We've filmed them swimming in 27 feet and 12 feet. You can walk out right in front of Ashland and catch them or you can head out into the main bay and catch them. The deep area in front of the ore dock always has fish it's 25-27 feet deep. The fish never appear to be hurt by pulling them up from that depth and almost everyfish is hooked in the to lip with a 1/8 ounce mushroom head or round ball jig head. I do recommend that you take a quick photo and release them. If it's really cold get em back without a photo so you don't freeze the fins. I have a 47 inch muskie video ready to go later tonight the things a pig. Mr Lucky Jason Van Ert spanked the fish on some kind of Berkley tube. We were fishing for Lakers on Crow.