• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rummage sale score!

Gissert

I have always been a big fan of the 1970's Yamaha RD street bikes. 2 stroke twin cylinder screamers, and they handle like lightning. I have wanted one for years.

I always have my ear to the ground looking for a decent one. Sadly, most bikes are basket cases, or priced over 2k as collector bikes.

I found this a little over a week ago at a local rummage sale.

1977rd400yk4.jpg

By gissert

1977 RD400C, 2850 ORIGINAL miles. It looks like it had never been down, and both tires were new. I snagged it for $650.

When I got it home, it would run, but only ont he right cylinder. The left carb cap was cracked, and would not thread on. I ordered one on line.

Once I replaced the cap and spark plugs, it started on the second kick on both cylinders.

The right spark plug was pretty white. I cleaned the carb and richened up the mixture a bit. Now, both plugs are a nice light tan color.

It still has a little mid-range stumble, so I will overhaul both carbs and all shoud be good.

Sweet!

i got one like that from a friend. it needed a diaphram in the fuel shut off valve, a carb cleaning, some of the plastic fixed, a new seat cover, and a new front tire. its an old honda interceptor 500. awesome deal at 125 for the bike, biggest thing is it was put down a couple times at low speeds so its not the original paint.

good to see an old bike like that in such good condition. congrats on the score on your new toy, hope it all works out, HAPPY RIDING

VERY nice RD. I had a 76 that looked just like that, and sold it 2 years ago for $1400 on hsolist. You STOLE that baby!!!

LaCarrera motorsports in Southern California is an awesome source for all things RD. I discovered that the points and condensor can be very finicky on a 30+ year old two stroke. I would seriously consider converting to electronic ignition if she is going to be a regular rider.

Take care of her!

MJ - I have it running pretty well now. I have looked into the electronic ignitions, but will hold off for now. I have a set of points and condensors, and a dial indicator to set timing if need be.

It still kind of runs out of steam at 65-70, but I will replace the fuel filter, and carb overhaul kits are on the way. I dont think the floats are set correctly.

I have found quite a few sources of parts on the net, but will check out LaCarrera for sure. Thanks for the tip.