• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cedar Waxwings

I had the good fortune to have a large number of Bohemian Waxwings feeding in my yard about a month ago and today I was again blessed with a good number of Cedar Waxwings on the block. They were hard at their feeding and did not give me much notice. I even had a few "buzz the tower" and fly right over my shoulder past my ear on a number of occasions. They certainly were fun.

All taken with the 40D, 100-400 @ 400mm, manual mode, 1/100s, f/5.6, ISO 1250

cedarwaxwingshh0.jpg

cedarwaxwing2ji2.jpg

cedarwaxwing3mb5.jpg

cedarwaxwing4zq7.jpg

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words. I appreciate the comments on the nice light from both Dan and Steve, but the light was actually brutal to work with. It was very dark and dreary (which made for nice flat even light), but it was almost impossible to get a reasonable shutter speed and get the birds to sit still long enough to get a good shot. I took over two hundred frames and had a fair number of keepers, but I had to throw a lot of shots that would have been even nicer than the ones presented because the bird made a slight move or the branch was bobbing gently. I would have hoped for a little more light to get higher SS and lower ISO, but I guess this is how photography works. You take what you can get. smile