• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds & and Beaver

Female-Common Yellowthroat

IMG_3085.jpg

Tree Swallow

IMG_3132-EDIT.jpg

Beaver

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

Bluebirds

IMG_3139-EDIT.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

In this last image I would like to know if there is any way to blur background but not the focused part. Like the backgroung of buzzsaw's images. And if it is possible, is there an easy procedure for doing it.

Thank You

First off LP there is a lot that goes into an image and softening the background, most of which is done right in camera. The closer you are to the image and the more open your f-stop the more your background will blur out, this is Depth of Field.

I won't pretend to speak for Buzzsaw, but I do know he uses a 300/2.8 lens with many of his images so getting close to the subject and shooting with the lens more open allows him to capture that creamy background.

Are you using Photoshop? There are many techniques to blurring your background. One involves creating another layer and lassoing out the subject and inverting with feathering which selects everything but the subject.

Or you can create a layer blur everything and with a layer mask paint back in the subject.

Having a clean background to start with makes a big difference as well. You will have to work to see angles that will give you the best to have your subject against.

There really are many techniques but nothing better than letting the camera and lens work to its best advantage by being close to your subject. There a few on line Depth of Field calculators that will do all the math for you to get you familiar with your equipments' DOF at many f-stops and distances. If you do a quick search you should have no trouble finding a few.