• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to Wisconsin Trout...

I am looking at making a fishing trip over to the Southwestern part of Wisconsin to try my hand at trout fishing some of your streams. I am not a fly fisherman so I use a 5' Ultralight. I live in Austin, MN, so I will be crossing the border near Lacrosse. Are there any streams near there that also have campgrounds nearby? With gas prices as high as they are I would like to stay and fish a couple of days. Also, does anyone know the cost of a temporary fishing permit for 3-4 days?

I have looked at the DNR HSOforum, how ever the HSOforum doen;t give you the 411 one which streams are good and which ones suck. Getting others opinions is the best way to go.

i go to school at UW-La Crosse and fly fish a lot of the coulee area streams in the spring and fall. Some of my favorite stream closest to La Crosse are the timber coulee and coon creek. both have mostly browns with a few brookies, but they also both recieve a lot of pressue. south of there (the viroqua area)you have a ton of options for streams. some of my favorites are the north fork of the bad axe, sugar creek, plum creek, and the west fork of the kickapoo. the kickapoo and the timber coulee get a lot of pressure, so if you are planning on fishing those, try to make it a weekday. Not sure I can help you out as far as camping goes. I know if you go north of la crosse, there is the trempaleau state park and there is good camping and several streams around that area.

hope this helps...

This does help alot trimbelle22, I could go during the week or weekend. I will have three months free to do what ever I like starting the middle of July. I appreciate the tips, thanks alot. WHat size fish do you normally pull outta the streams you fish?

The kickapoo is your best chance at catching some bigger fish, but like I said it gets a lot of pressure and therefore those fish are that much more educated. Some people night fish it and do well for bigger fish, but I have never tried it. This spring I lost about an 18" on the timber coulee right at my feet, but that is by far the biggest trout I have caught in the area. Mostly browns in the 8-12" range.