• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs Winnie or Leech??

erikwells

I have it narrowed dow to these three. I want to rent a sleeper with my bro in law and do some fishing Friday January 16. I would love to have some perch action during the day and some walleyes during the low light hours. We will be staying one day. My bro in law has never caught a walleye and I want to get his first and he is new to the sport so I need to keep him busy with action. Help me out if you would. Thanks

If you are at all worried about your bro in law getting bored I'd choose MilleLacs. Although you could go the other way as well so there would be nothing else to do but fish. Between the other two I'd pick Leech, but that's just because I've fished it before. Never fished Winnie but I've heard plenty good about it. Jan 16th is a holiday weekend for some people (MLK day) so finding a sleeper for one night may be hard. I'd start calling soon.

Good luck.

For what you put into the cost of a sleeper why don't you hire a guide for a day or two? They will put you on the best spot for a chance at that walleye and you will also learn the best techniques on how to catch 'em.

Drowned minnow, Mille Lacs is 1 hour from my door and I really need to go back home Saturday to feed horses and then drive back up. Rip some lip thanks and I will get some Ivans spoons. Lumpy, you are right, however my brother in law is not real hearty and the way I fish in my portable; he would never last.

Thanks guys. Gus you are right they are fillin up quick. I went with a sleeper for the weekend (about $40.00 difference in cost for the 24 hour rate). I will be on Mille Lacs going out of Dick's Portside. I am hoping to get into the Perch during the light hours and some eyes in the evening. I will bring snowmobile and portable in case I am on a really slow spot. Any tackle or minnow suggestions?

Mistermom, you are right. The family, horses and the job are holding me back from realizing my true angling potential. Just like Steve Martin said in the movie The Jerk 'I now know my special purpose'. Thanks all for the suggestions and I will be sure to let you know how I do.