• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wrist mounted sonar

Has anyone seen the Humminbird wrist sonar?
It looks like a wrist watch with a depth finder face? It uses your line to check the bottom of the lake etc.
Has anyone had any expierence with one of these? Do they actually work? Or is it another gadget.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

Yes, I have seen the SmartCast wireless wrist model. They do not use your line to check depth. They use a small transducer/transmitter that attaches to your line and then sends back a signal to the unit on your wrist.
I have not used one nor have I seen it in action, but it might work well for ice fishing due to its' portability.

A buddy of mine had one of these when we went fishing last year. It will only give you depth; it won't mark fish, etc.

It is useful in that it can cover a lot of area...casting it from a boat. Easy to find humps, drop-offs, etc.

It would probably be most comparable to using the small hand-held 'flashlight' type depth finders on the ice.

I have one. Works great for streams and smaller lakes/ponds. The instructions do say they are NOT meant for ice fishing and won't hold up in cold weather.

They do mark fish like a fish finder/graph but not like a Vexilar.

[This message has been edited by say_der (edited 12-30-2003).]