• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opener Reports

Mr. Pike1

Historically I have hit the river for smallmouth to kick off the bass season. This year I decided to stay in the area and hit a lake a few blocks from home.

The report for me was I found many presentations and locations that were "not" producing. I was on the water early for 3 hours and the senko helped me to put three in boat for me but no pigs.

Hoping to see some reports of others with more success.

Just got back from the lake. Ended up with about a dozen in about 3 hours. Ranged anywhere between 10-18 inches, biggest was just under 4lbs (3 lbs 12 oz). If I would have stuck with a tube with no weight I'm pretty positive I could have caught about 30-40 smaller ones, but my four biggest fish came on a frog. I don't know, jigs weren't working well for me, and I decided to try a different approach and it seemed to pay off (to some degree). I am heading back out for the evening bite and will probably post some more results.

Mankato area, Small males on the beds. Did not see any eggs on the beds. A few fish under docks near bed areas. Slow presentation with plastics. Nothing on cranks. It may turn on a bit if the temps rise. Water temps were 56ish.

I managed 17 fish this morning with the two largest being 20". Most fish were 12-16 males though. There was an unlimited number of males if you only wanted to cover a lot or water with a spinnerbait, lipless crank or jerkbait, they weren't picky. I caught fish on everything plastic I threw (Powerbait beasts and mud critters, senkos and shaky worms). The only thing that didn't produce for me was the normally productive black and blue jig. The spinnerbait bite picked up with the gusty winds that started around 11:00. I saw temps anywhere from 58-65 degrees.

Good reports. My boat is still hooked to me truck so I may get an evening run in to redeem myself. I for sure am getting out on Sunday and just wish this pesky winds would go away.

I'm planning on being out early tomorrow. Hopefully the potential rain has quit by then or holds off for the morning, and the winds have died down. Can't wait!

Total was caught countless bass. Most, like said before, were small males ranging from 10-16 inches. We did however manage some nice fish. Lots of fish on the move into the shallows, and lots and lots of fish already there. The wind made most the lake no fun to fish so we'll see how tomorrow goes. Good luck to all!

WINDY! No fun in the Titanic!... good thing she's unsinkable! Slow day for me.. 4 northerns and 3 bass.. all on various senkos... did manage 1 bass on a DT4. Nothing on spinnerbiats, tubes, or a few random popper casts. Was out only 4 hours.. got sick of the wind.

Ditto on the endless supply of males eating everything. Top producer was again the floating strike king zulu baits with light wire worm hooks and light braid to aid the floating. Sexy shads, shallow cranks, senkos, and I hate to say it....spinnerbaits. We saw goups of fish in 0-2 fow doing their thing. These weren't small groups either! There were as many as 23 DIFFERENT fish counted together at most. Smallest group had 7. I found this very odd. At any rate... none of these fish would pick up a bait. I've had tough times getting a fish to move a bait off a bed but something has almost always worked. I threw a LOT at these fish and they did nothing but carry on with their 'business'. Water was 55 where we started and was as warm as 63 elsewhere within a few hours. The spinnerbait bite got hot with the wind. The females we did get were deeper and ripe.

Was really hard to fish with the wind, but I managed to catch 20 fish. Really disappointing compared to the last 2 weekends. Water temp was 56F.

20 and 19" were the biggest. Lost about 6 fish that were bigger. Definatley not hooking em as good as last weekend.

pm3.jpg

We did pretty good today. Hit one lake early and got right around 50. Biggest was 5lb 3oz and we had about 8 others over 3lbs. Then hit a different lake and caught some crappies, then jumped lakes again and caught a dozen more with only 2 over 3lbs. Spinnerbaits, tubes, and a texas rigged worm were the best for us.

Awesome smallies, guys! Good reports.

We caught 53 bass and 3 sunnies. I also caught mostly buck males off beds. We did catch a lot between 1-3 pounds. I am dissapointed in the size but not the numbers. It was fun to just bass fish. We caught the majority on outkast stick bats. The high winds kept us close to shore and away from some better spots. My hands are dry and rough which is a good feeling to have.

I have off on Tuesday and Wednesday so there will be more fun coming soon!

We got spanked on the 'Sippi - was crazy rough with the wind and my little 55# trolling motor had no chance so we did what I call NASCAR fishing - zoom, right past spots.

Pulled off and went on the Rum and managed a couple snot rockets and 3-4 small smallies. Water was low and swift for the Rum but was shocked to see water temps in low 60's - expected nearly 10 degrees cooler.

All in all should've went to somewhere else.

I would just like to go on record saying "I HATE YOU ALL".

The boat still sits in dry dock, and I have been sleepin on a couch for 3 days while moving. Mabe next weekend.

Glad to see some success.

Decided to fish at a lake down the road for 3 hours this morning in the 25 mph stead wind. Got a wild idea to use jig n pigs and we slammed the bass on the windswept shoreline. Left the camera hooked up to the computer! DOH!

Finaly got out to chase bass today...

Fished a metro lake from 630-1 and it was tough going for my dad and I. We only managed 3 bass between 14-16" and one pike. Most excitement came when a big ol muskie showed interest in my pointer.

We didnt see any spawning activity, no beds, no fish actively cruising the shallows either. Water was around 61 degrees.

I to finaly got t get out this afternoon for 4 hrs. Did realy good. Boated around 30 Bass and a few Pike. We had an average of 2.5 lbs. Not bad for the first time out for the year.

Duck

Mr. Pike got "some" redemtion. I was itching to get back on the water afer a slow start. However, the forecast for the morning was high winds and storms and I was not in the mood for rough weather fishing. That being said I decided on some family time. By mid-afternoon I could not take it any more I had to fish.

I decided on this other little lake that I always have thoughrt the shoreline sure looked like bass waters but for whatever reason I never fished it.

I decided to take my kayak out rigged with three poles. One with a senko, one a light weighted tube jig, and the final was a tiny torpedo prop bait in frog like colors. When I hit the water the sky's were in good shape and the winds very light (that would change)

Anyway I paddled to a nice shoreline with some weeds and wood (wood is always good). I decided the first cast would be with my favorite little topwater and the first cast hit the shoreline and I did not even have a chance to twitch it, Bam bass on. This was followed by many more aggressive attacks by smaller males protecting the ladies and the beds.

My topwater hook percentages left something to be desired. I would guess I was hooking 30% but many were smaller fish and just poppin at it. Then I was drifting by this brick facade with a bit of weedage. My bait hit the water one twitch and a pig exploded (it was such an agressive assault I heard myself scream like a school girl). She missed the bait. Then another splash and she was on. This pig never saw the inside of my kayak but the introduction and free tow in the shallows was fun.

The topwater was so hot my senko pole only got a few tosses but when it did it produced. The bite was still going good when I noticed the sky's were not looking good. The siren went off and I scuried to shore and then got scolded by my wife for not getting off the water earlier.

If my hooking skills would have been more in the 70 percent range I would have had 20 plus in 2 hrs. For the most part they were 1-3 lb fish and the one monstor that was certainly in the 19-20 inch class. I also lost another nice one that I would guess to be 17 or 18.

Anyway great follow up for me to get back on track !!!!!

I strongly reccomend the kayak fishing to anyone who has not tried it. Very fun to get into the bass or tiger musky in the metro. Panfish are of course fun as well.

Had to work saturday and today but did get out to a local isolated lake and managed some nice fish. Any type of plastic was producing fish and did not notice many fish bedding as of yet. Would rather have been out in the boat but was still better then some openers!

We were on tonka yesterday praticing for the tonka classic. Caught many 3lb'ers along with some 2's and 4's. The fat ones which are the 3-4lb'ers are females and they don't appear to have spawned yet. They're just staging in area's and covers. But it was windy, real windy and lots of bassboats too, I assume prefishing for the tourny. Jigs were catching bigger fish then spinners and stickbaits.