• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best boat to get

HOT SPOT

Hey guys I have been looking at serveral different walleye setups. What do you guys think is the best boat for the $ and for the retail trade in value. I have looked at aluminum and fiberglass, but I just want to hear what you guys think the Pro's and Con's of the different boats

You are going to get a lot of different answers on this one, and it will most likely get moved to the boats and motors forum. But anyway, here is my two cents worth.

In an Aluminum package, I think it would be next to impossible to beat the Lund 1825 Pro Guide. For the money, you get a great boat, the best aluminum resale value around, and everything a guy would need to tackle big water. You can still tool around in the skinny stuff, and you could pull it with a smaller truck if you had to. Put a 90 Merc 4 stroke on the back with a nice bow mount and transom mount trolling motors, and you have yourself a winner. The downside to aluminum is that it is not quite as dry and smooth of a ride as glass, but being lighter has its advantages.

If you want to go glass, go Ranger. They are expensive, yes, but if you ever ride in one you know why. Best thing money can buy if you are looking at them. A good all around boat is the 619VS with a 200, toss a kicker in the mix and a nice bow mount and you have one stylin rig. Some might not like the "bass dust" (glitter) but I do, and the eyes don't seem to mind either. Rangers will retain the best resale value and they are the best built boats around in my opinion. The best sound in the world is the small waves lapping against the side of the glass hull, I just love it. The other Ranger option that serves the fisherman very well is the 1860 Angler. It is cheaper than the 619, but a lot alike it in the features that are packed in. For my money, which is limited, the 1860 is the very first on the list. But then again, it will be at least 5 years before I am thinking about buying one.

I would agree with your Aluminum choice but would have to steer you in the Warrior direction on a glass boat much less expensive than a Ranger, price is competitive with lund, better floor plan IMO, and there made right here in Minnesota can't beat that. Yes Ranger probably has the "Cadillac" of rides but my Warrior is a big improvment over my Pro-V and I don't think Ranger is much better.

I like the layout of wariors .The Tritens are awsome but I think their big buck. The Rangers just dont look good,Just a little ribbing.I guese looks arn't everything. The function of the boat matters the most.

I dont Know much about the Aliminmumnumun. I like the Crestliners the better from what Ive seen.

I do think the Alluminum's probly handle better for manuverabillity. The glass is gonna ride better with better layout and features.

As for boat brands Lund and Alumacraft with aluminum and Warrior or Ranger for glass. I would look at the layout, features that they offer and storage space. Personally I am a fan of Lund and Warrior, but I will most likely only be able to afford an Alumacraft.

What is your price range. After looking for a used glass boat, (see my post titled in the boat section Ranger/Warrior & YarCraft which one and why) there is alot of great feed back.

I ended up purchasing (but don't have it until 6/16) a 2003 1895 YarCraft Storm with a Merc Optimax 135 Saltwater tiller.

I looked at Rangers. Even though they were very nice. I thought they were a litte "cramped" for a tiller on floor space. I know a lot of the walleye guys on Mille Lacs after fishing in YarCrafts and Warriors prefer them over Ranger (tiller) because of over all handling and room.

I knew a few people who own YarCraft and have had a chance to fish out of them a few times. They are very deep, wide. I especially like the enclosed/ lockable electronic box (tiller version). They have a ton of floor room, and storage. Two huge rod holders one 8 footer and one 9 footer. They ride and handle very well. Two huge live wells. I believe they are deeper than the Ranger.

I liked the Warriors also, it came down to what I could find (used) and in my price range between the two.

If you purchased one of these two boats, you would not be disappointed. grin

For aluminum, I had for 14 years a Alumacraft 185 Compeditor with a 75 Merc Tiller. (90% of my fishing is done on Mille Lacs). That was a very good boat and I had no problems or complaints with the boat or motor.

I liked the Warriors also, it came down to what I could find (used) and in my price range between the two.

That's odd to me that used Warrior's were priced higher than Yar-Craft as when I was looking at new one's I was able to get 1890bt with a 115 and power steering plus an extra seat for the SAME price as a Yar-Craft 1785bt? with a 75 horse no power steering and 1 less seat! Maybe it was just the dealers I was dealing with but that was enough of a differanc to make it a no brainer.

Fiberglass will give you a smoother ride over aluminum, but they are also heavier and take more horsepower to push. For aluminum boats you can't go wrong with Lund, alumacraft or crestliner. They are all quality, Minnesota made boats. Find the layout you like the best and what fits your fishing style. I fish a 1750 fishhawk, it's wide and dry with lots of room and the 90 opti will move in the low 40's and not kill me on gas.

My price range was no higher thar $18,000. There were not that many glass boats out there in that range. Like I mentioned, alot of boats that were nice, were never "oficially" advertised for sale. they sold them to friends.

The guy I purchased it from, gave me an excellent price. I met him down at the Sport Show at the YarCraft booth. Again, it was never officially "advertised" or for sale. He was thinking about selling. I asked him if he was selling how much and he told me. I asked him after he took it out of storage give me first shot at it.

He kept to his word. There was someone up at Mille lacs that caught wind that the boat may be for sale. Luckily, he kept to his word and gave me first shot at it.

I've two Alumacraft's and love them. Lunds are great, but IMO you pay more for the name. Save some coin and look at the Alumacraft's if you go aluminum. I don't have any experience with glass. Road in a ranger once and the ride is ver nice. Just depends on budget and needs.

It really comes down to your personal needs. How many people usually fish out of your boat at one time? How big of water? How many live wells do you need. Rod storage and length of your rods? Do you like tillers or consoles. Single console, dual, or walk through windshield. Do you also want to pull the kids tubing and water skiing? When I bought my Tuffy it was the perfect boat for me. I looked at both glass and aluminum and at all manufacturers. The Tuffy tiller was what I decided was best for MY particular application. It could very well be the worse choice for you or someone else. We can all find something wrong with somebody's boat so it comes down to what fits your style of fishing and your budget. Good luck. I am sure you will love whatever boat you get.

I have been very happy with the Warrior that I run. For a fiberglass boat that would be my choice. For aluminum I like the layouts and fishability of the Crestliners. As far as resale value I know that the Warriors hold their value and are pretty easy to sell as long as you keep good care of them. I have about4-5 people a year that will contact me to see if I am selling mine. In Minnesota you cannot go wrong with Warrior. But there is nothing wrong with the other boats mentioned, they all have their pluses and minuses.

Jason Erlandson

When looking at aluminum Lund has a double riveted seam. This is a much stronger leak proof seal then single riveted seams. Rivets allow the boat to flex some. I have rode in several crestliners and while they make a nice boat I would have a few concerns about the an all welded hull. Aluminum like all metals I have worked with, gets hard and brittle along the heat affected zones and there may be "some" potential for cracking. Especially if your in the middle of canada beached on a rock pile. I'm just partial to Lund. I dont know much about fiber glass but the glass boats I have been in have a great ride.

Moved out to Spokane, WA from MN about 9 months ago. Have been shopping around for a new boat since. Well last week I picked up a 2008 HewesCraft, with a Merc 60 HP/4 Stroke/EFI and 8 HP 4 Stroke kicker. Love it!! Hewesrafts out here are like Lunds in MN.

If your looking for resale somewhere down the road you want a Ranger. Lund has a very good following here in Minnesota and they are the tops for aluminum resale as well (in Minnesota) but you pay a premium up front. I have owned Lunds my whole life and currently run a Pro-V and I can say that I'm 95% sure my next boat won't be a Lund.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Cresliner, Lund or Alumacraft in a metal boat. It's just going to come down to your personal preference with either of them.

For glass I'd check out Ranger, Warrior and if I was going to go glass, I'd definately check out Yarcraft.

I've owned a crestliner superhawk and currently a alumacraft trophy. I believe both boats are top-notch from an owners perspective. Both of my brother-in-law's run lund pro-v ifs and I think they are great as well. All of these are walk-thru windshield models. I think WASKAWOOD said it best: "It really comes down to your personal needs..." Personally I would never buy a tiller because it does not fill my personal needs, but as you can read, there are just as many fella's here that would say they would never buy a walk-through windshield model for the exact same reason. I don't think you can go wrong with a crestiliner, lund or alumacraft. I've never owned a fiberglass boat so I can't comment. I really envy you at this point because shopping for a boat is almost as fun as owning one. Good luck.

Here's what I would say... don't spend too much on it regardless, cause a paid for boat is more enjoyable than one with payments smile

With that said, get as big, comfy and full featured as your budget allows. I think most boats made nowadays are pretty darn good, so being brand picky is not so necessary. With that said, we have 2 boats that are of the MN Big Three, and are return customers to this brand, and think it is worth it. But other brands are fine too.

Myself, unless using for a duck boat, I won't get another fishing that is not 18' or bigger, and probably 19-20' with full windshield and lots of ponies smile But a 17' modified vee with tiller and 60 hp would make a great ducking/fishing combo. Hehe, you also can't have enough boats, just ask my wife! ha!

Don't rule out the Tracker Targa or Tundras. These are excellent aluminum boats that have a welded aluminum hull that has a deep keel like most of the glass boats mentioned. Best part is they are lighter and with gas the way it is that is a big plus.