• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little help for some pannies

TCon17

My lake had a late ice out (3 days before opener) and I have to take out a 3yr old and a 6yr old this weekend but I cant seem to find any decent panfish action as of yet. Not sure where to look for some pannies of any kind. Water temps are just over 50 yet, any ideas of some areas I should be looking for?

I would look for some vegetation or weed growth. Also pay attention to the side of the lake that gets the most sunlight. Likely if the pannies are all that active the Crappies should be. Fishing near submerge vegetation or fallen trees. If there is a visable sand bar on the lake try that too.

The north shores will be the best as they get the most sunlight with the sun low in the southern sky. Try large mucky flats or bays with some weed growth and you should be able to find some fish. I like casting a 1/16 ounce jig or maybe a little bigger depending what the wind allows for matched with a white Creek Town twister tail or a 1" Berkley Power Nymph. Slowly reel that back to the boat maybe popping it up of the bottom a few times on the way in, keeping it just off the top of the weeds or muck. Once you start getting fish you can pinpoint the area you are catching them in with a slip float technique and a minnow, crawler or leech(this part can vary)

Good Luck I hope you can get a few fish!

Ryan