• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp Spawn???

When the cottonwood starts flying, the carp start spawning, according to a number of old guys I've known. I've been seeing the cottonwood starting here, but not much spawning yet.

The carp I recently arrowed are full of eggs,there is a heavy hatch of midges the last few days and the carp are gorging on them,there all over in the shallow muddy bottom areas,jumpin all day & night,but the spawn is a ways away I believe the eggs are no where near ripe,Prime whatever ya call it their yet pretty tiny eggs.I've taken 2-4 each day for 5 days their 12-16 lbs.But when the spawn starts these will look small.

65 degree surface temps are the trigger. When the water temps hit the 60s things get crazzy. 65 is ideal for the eggs. This spring I was in a flood pool with spawning fish when the sun was out, a little wind and cloud cover and they shut down. Just that little change.

Find warm water, find spawning fish.

would the cottonwood or the midges have a effect on the fishing since they are surface orientated (I dont flyfish for them)
Kinda like trout when there's a hatch they are targeting specific plentiful food,most other food or bait is ignored,but not 100% of the time.

Id say its def. on. The carp are stacked up below the dams down here right now. They are so tight most have half their bodies stickin out or are pushed into the shallows.