• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

a basic list of plastics

norma

alluring baits has the same baits that are sold as Dingers and the Gander brands. But half the price.

Also I like the Wave Tiki Sticks. They have clearance ones for $2/bag.

Hiya

Kind of a funny subject for me. I'm totally bi-polar on this depending on whether it's largemouths or smallmouths.

My list is pretty short for green fish. 7" Power Worms, 4" Flipping tubes (Northland or Berkley), a few creature baits (Berkley Sabertail Bugs, or Northland Brush Beavers), a few Senko-type baits (Northland Dip-Sticks or YUM Dingers), and a few trailers for jigs - power craws or super chunks mainly. I can fit most of what I need in one softside bag.

Smallmouths...good God. Grubs. Lots and *lots* of grubs, from 2 to 5 inches. Colors that range from clear (no color at all) to school bus yellow, but lots of clear, smoke, smoke/flake, root beer, and brown. Jigworms - 4 to 6-inchers, curly tails, ribbon tails, ringworms, in lots of colors but a lot of white, black, smoke, and green pumpkin. Drop shotting - 3" Dingers, 4" Dingers, Persuader Paddle Tails, Gulp! Alive Leeches, finesse worms... Tubes - 3, 3-1/2 and 4-inch tubes. jerk-bait shads, flukes, craws, creatures (the new 4" Northland Jungle Hogs on a 1/4 oz football head are going to be sick for smallies...) It's really a sad deal... smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I love Senkos too, but they're too expensive and only last a few fish. I usually buy the $3 equivalent Yum Dingers.

Sledneck, you must go through bags of them with all those pig smallies you and your kid catch.

not really, I use the o-ring set up. One day I caught like 25 (smallmouth) bass on one senko.

SledNeck, how do you set up the o-ring deal?

As far as platics go... I use pretty much the same baits for both large and smallmouth.

I have 3 baits that I use 90% of the time:

YUM Dingers and Comidas (found some at Cabelas in Rogers last week btw) in a bunch of colors, but mostly natural, darker colors

7" original formula power worms in green/pumpkin, black/blue, and red shad

3 and 4" power tubes in smoke red flake, smoke, and pumpkinseed/chartreuse

Then throw in some craws and creature baits for the other 10% of the time. But as others have mentioned, be careful or you'll soon be measuring your platics in pounds, and thinking to yourself "boy if I fish plastics every day, all day, and I fish every single day of the open water season, I'd still not run out of plastics for a year or two!"

i see... I don't really use em wacky rigged too much. And I actually don't go thru too many of them. Comidas/Dingers are pretty durable, sometimes i superglue a tear or two. 5 or 6 fish is the general rule, x 10 baits in a bag, x 3.50 per bag... not bad

Like Tom said, Thorne Brothers on University Avenue in Fridley keeps a nice selection of Comidas on hand, and really almost all of the Mr. Twister line of plastics.

Deitz got me started on their plastics (Comidas in particular) about 3 years ago. I had all but forgotten or ignored their stuff for several years until I rediscovered them. Fact is 3/4 of my plastic needs (stick worms, tubes, flukes, traditional worms) are met by their product line, and it's a quality plastic for a very fair price.

Note: So I bolded the Deitz thing above, because I frequently try to be contrary to Deitz. He won...me over! So I will admit in public, Deitz finally beat me (in a certain way).

Well you can tell hes doin a good job because hes the reason I was wondering about them a well! He showed me them a couple of years ago but I haven't found them in a store and therefore haven't really used them. But I remember that they didn't fall apart as easily as some others I've used. I'll check out thorn, thx!

SledNeck,

You seem to have mastered the senko's. I recently started using them and have yet to catch a bass frownfrown

If you dont mind, whats your setup? Rod, line, hook size etc.. Maybe i'm going at it the wrong way.

Well, I ditched the split rings as they did not work well at all.

I did pick up a 25pk of rubber o-rings from cabelas this weekend and i'm a happy camper now wink Also using gamakatsu finnesse wide gap 3/0, and 2/0 weedless fwg, great setup so far.

Fishnhuntnboy, I also bought a tool @ cabelas that you can use to put the o-rings on the senkos without ruining the o-ring. Slickest setup and its so easy to use. I believe it was called the "Wacky Tool", or just ask anyone that works there, they'll know what you're talking about.