• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

a basic list of plastics

norma

I am new to bass fishing. Been fishing for walleye and crappie for 30+ years. Never had a yearning to fish for bass. Well, that has changed, I have been catching them quite a bit while crappie fishing on Big Marine. And I finaly noticed that bass are a lot of fun to catch! I have plenty of crankbaits, some spinnerbaits, Lots of jigs, but when it comes to plactics, if it aint a 1 1/2 to 3" grub, I don't have it. Could one of you savvy bass fishermen out there please give me a basic list of plastics to stock, and some basic colors as well.

For a rod I plan to use either my jiging rod, 6'3" St Croix Avid med w/xfast tip and a Shimano Solas with 8 lb mono, or my bottom bouncer rod, a Shimano Compre 7' med w/ fast tip and a ABU Pro Max with 15lb power pro. Will these work well or do I want something with slower action like my slip bobber or crankbait rod?

A few packages of senko style baits, both 4 & 5 inch sizes, in a couple of colors, green pumpkin, black, white. Some tubes in both 3 & 4 inch sizes, dark and light colors. A few creature style baits, brushhogs, 4 & 5 inch. Some worm hooks, 3/0 - 5/0. Your bigger live bait hooks should be fine for wacky rigging some senko's. Bullet weights, 1/8th to 1/4. Some fire line and you should be set for the basics. Plastics have a way of sneaking up on you, before you know it you end up with hundreds if not thousands of pieces. Avoid impulse buying at all costs, or you will end up like the rest of us with unopened packages stuck in boxes, corners and who knows where else, with no idea where or why you bought them.

norma,

I think the rods you have right now should work pretty well for any type of plastics. As for a basic list, I would suggest the following:

Senkos (soft plastic stickbaits)

Tubes

Ribbontail Worms

Fluke stlye baits

These should cover the general areas, however there are so many different kinds of plastic designs out there its uncountable. If you wanted to get more into finesse style plastics you could look into 4-7 inch straight tail worms. If you wanted to get more into fishing heavy cover, the afformentioned list of baits will work as well as creature style plastics. Hopefully this gives you a general idea.

The worm that got me hooked on fishing plastics was the Red Shad Culprit 7.5" worm. What an addiction. Now like many others here, I have plastics coming out of every little nook and cranny in the house, garage, boat, shed, everywhere.

As for a list of starters, the other guys are right on target. Senko/Dingers, 7"ish ribbontail worm such as a Powerbait or Culprit, Tubes in light and dark plus some green and browns, creatures, and gulp leeches. (Guys, don't laugh at me with the leeches)

An often overlooked but extremely simple way to fish plastics such as the ribbontails and sticks is a regular ball head jig with an exposed hook. Inside or outside weed line and you will have some fun. I am pretty sure from your tackle description, you have a few of them laying around. The rods you have sound like they will do the trick just fine.

Welcome to the bass world. As soon as you get out there and get hooked on these fish, your going to be spending a ton of money on bass stuff. At least most of us here do.

What i would do if i was you, is go out and get some Mr. Twister product. They make some awesome stuff. Comdia, Tubes and much more. There product is awesome, and not alot of money. I have used them for a few years now, and have loved all there product!

Oh boy... just be carefull as it is completely addictive. There is so much out there and as previously stated easy to impulse buy. Stick with a few colors of tubes, 7 inch worm, and creature/crayfishlike baits. Get some bass-proshop worm hooks as they are cheaper and of high quality, get some bullet sinkers ranging from 1/16, up to 3/4 oz. Stick with greens, black, white, and maybe red-shad colors... you will do fine. Be carefull not to get too addicted here. I can safely say I am and my wife absolutely hates it. good luck

As others have said, you are entering dangerous territory here. It is very easy to get carried away. I would start with Senko type stick baits, but I prefer the Cabelas brand because they are cheaper and more durable. I especially love fishing them wacky rigged. Flukes in natural baitfish colors (silver/black) seem to be good starter choices too. The creature baits seem to really get a reaction from the bass as well. Watermelon and red flake is a great color for me as well as most natural crayfish or minnow type colors.

Does anyone have pictures of different ways to rig plastics. I'm starting to get into bass more and would love to target them during the summer. I love the lists of plastics, but maybe having some idea on different ways to rig/use them would be nice for everyone as well.

shockedshocked Danger!!!! Danger!!!! shockedshocked you are entering a land of things you can not come back from!!!

Senko's, flukes, power worms, power craws, beasts, tubes, slug-go's, rage tails, grubs, swim baits, paddle tails, lizzards..............

It never ends. EVER!!! wink

Whatever you do, do not buy a dedicated plastics bag. You WILL fill it before you know it. There will be no more room in the bag, then you will find some plastic that you HAVE to have. There will be no more room.....

My most used plastics:

1) Mr. Twister Comidas - this brand in particular because of their weight (heavy) and durability

2) Tubes - any of the brands with a solid head (Mann's Hardnose) or thick walls (I finally found some Mr. Twister Fat Tubes at Thorne Brothers)

3) Ring Worms - any brand in 4" will do

4) Fluke style baits - Zoom Fluke, Mr. Twister RT Slug (with Exude attactant)

5) Zoom Super Chunks - tipping a flipping jig

I carry about 60 pounds of plastics with me and store about the same at home. Once you start buying this stuff the boundaries of sensibility are lost.

The dark side is right... except on those ultra hot sunny days when we are throwing scumfrogs in to the lilypads... and I can't believe no one has mentioned the greatest plastics ever made by the Great Mr. Gary Yamokoto...

Just texas rig some of those worms and slowly work them thru the shallows (1-2 feet) feeling every stick you work over and then WHA-WHA-WHAAAAM!

(you gotta let them take the worm first, and then just remember to keep your rod tip up as high as possible above your head or they will twist you up in some lilypad stems)... those bass are so smart after you got them hooked ((pretty dumb before they get hooked though)))

And when your going deeper, i like to use perch or bass patterend rapalas...

and those darn bass-o-reno's too....

and topwater torpedo, or spin baits.... LOTS OF TOPWATER LURES...

and tubes around docks...

too.... many... dollars... spent... on... lures... and ... plastics.

SOMETIMES my wallet WISHes I WAS A WALLEYE FISHERMAN.

Norma,

Breaking it down to plastic for bass fishing.... just get yourself a bag or two of Gray Yamamoto's senkos. 4 -5 inches with 1/0 to 5/0 offset hooks should do it. Any color mentioned above will work. I fish it with no weight. Best thing about the senko is that the bait will work for you. While sinking, this bait fall horizontal with a little wiggle action. Just lift your rod high, give it a few jig if you want, and that is it. Keep an eye on your line cause most strike will accure when the bait is falling.

Fish On!!!!

all I can say is I to was (am) a walleye crappie fisherman, BUT, was introducted into the world of bass fishing by a buddy. been hook ever since. As for lures, 7" & 10" worms, Tequila shad, green pumkin, crawdad, little critter craws, and I really like the Boohah jigs, they relly go through the weeds nice. Have fun

Where do you guys buy those Comidas? I dont think I've seen them at Gander...

I usually get mine at Fleet Farm. I think I've also seen them at Sportsmen's Warehouse.

Like Tom said, Thorne Brothers on University Avenue in Fridley keeps a nice selection of Comidas on hand, and really almost all of the Mr. Twister line of plastics.

Deitz got me started on their plastics (Comidas in particular) about 3 years ago. I had all but forgotten or ignored their stuff for several years until I rediscovered them. Fact is 3/4 of my plastic needs (stick worms, tubes, flukes, traditional worms) are met by their product line, and it's a quality plastic for a very fair price.

Note: So I bolded the Deitz thing above, because I frequently try to be contrary to Deitz. He won...me over! So I will admit in public, Deitz finally beat me (in a certain way).

Quote:
Note: So I bolded the Deitz thing above, because I frequently try to be contrary to Deitz. He won...me over! So I will admit in public, Deitz finally beat me (in a certain way).

Dude, this is GOLDEN!!!! Can I keep this for ever and ever?

LOL

As others have said Thornes has the best supply of Comida in the state. I Love the Comida as well, the RT slug is my go-to for soft plastic jerk-bait-baits.

1. Senkos rigged Wacky

2. Lizards! these are deadly and great T rigged and Carolina. Bass absolutely hate lizards.

3. One of my favorite t-rigged options is Yamamotos Swim Senkos. They are a worm with a paddle tail and have produce many fish for me.

4. Flukes. These baits were the hottest item before senkos and stickbaits, and now they have made another comeback and are still extremely popular.

8. Grab a bag of 8-10" ribbon tailed worms as well.

Senko/Comida/Dinger/Trick Stick

Flukes/RT Slugs/Floozy/Jerky J's

Salatubes/Tubes/Bleeding Tubes

Chigger Craws/Mud Bugs

Beavers/Super Craws

I love Senkos too, but they're too expensive and only last a few fish. I usually buy the $3 equivalent Yum Dingers.

Sledneck, you must go through bags of them with all those pig smallies you and your kid catch.