• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

25 HP Yamaha 2 Stroker, Speed & Price

A local dealer just picked up a couple of 25 HP Yamaha Short shaft motors. Nothing fancy, manual every thing.

THey were resort motors, but they look lightly used. They have a 2000 and a 1999...the 2000 is $1,899. This is higher the the NADA price, but probably reflects the inflated price that quality outboards get in Northern, MN. Do you guys think this price is fair???

Second question is speed. Will the 25 move a standard 16' Lund with 1 or 2 other guys up on plane? Will she troll down to a nice backtrolling speed.

I like the size and features of this motor, just not sure on the price, also wondering if a 30 or 40 may be better for me.

The boat is our duck hunting and running around on small lakes boat. It may find its way up to LOW on some hunting trips too and needs to be able to run empty and keep up with the 20 footers while transporting gear out. We currently have a 25 merc that keeps up, so I assume the yamaha should too.

Given that they're 8 years old and used resort motors I think he's a bit high on price.

However, the 25hp yamaha 2 stroke was a pretty darn good motor with very few, if any, hickups. Is it worth it? I'd say if you can get them closer to $1500 or $1700 it would be more worth it. If you're really after a motor though, then pay the piper his price.

It should get it on plane - it won't be the fastest thing on the water but it should work. A 30 or 40 will be a big performance improvement over the 25 though.

marine_man

I've had a 91 25 HP Yamamha on my 16 Lund forever. ( S-16, bench seats, Sag boat) It does about 23 mph empty, planes easily with 2 guys and average gear. Plows hard loaded with family of 4, pets, a weeks worth of fishing/camping gear:)

I've got a 96 Yamaha 2 stroke 25 HP w/oil injection on my 96 Lund Rebel, 16 footer. I'll say this engine is a dream as far as mainenance goes. It'll do 22 to 26 mph planed out with a full tank (6.5 gallons), 2 guys at 175-185 lbs each and full gear. No problem trolling at just over 1 mph and is easy on gas. I'm no expert on prices, but I'll just say these engines are very efficient and I'd highly recommend.

I have a 25hp Mercury 2 stroke with a 16 foot Alumacraft with bench seats. At full throttle, with three men I can go 24 mph (GPS speed), and plane no problem. This is with a 13 pitch prop.

Changed to a 11 pitch prop this year to lower my trolling speed (and it was damaged and wanted a spare) and I am still going about 23 mph with the above load. The boat appears to plane faster and get out of the hole faster than before.

I had a 4 stroke Yamaha before I got the Mercury and I had nothing but trouble and would never buy a Yamaha again. (Just my opinion).