• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Icerookie

Metro Area Fishing Books

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which books with maps of metro area lakes are the best to buy? Thanks in advance!

------------------
Hey, you're bobber's down!!

As far as books are concerned, Sportsmans Collection is nice. There are two Metro book, east and west Metro. They have a mojority of the lakes outside of the private and non-accessible lakes. Also have good and recent info on stocking and surveys.

Also might want to look into the Lake Master Lake Maps for your computer as well. They are nice to have and there are a lot of features.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I think the Twin Cities Fishing Guide by Sybil Smith has the best information regarding productive locations and tactics for each lake. A lot of good information was gathered from locals, professional anglers, guides, bait shop owners and others. Just check the references listed at the back of the book. However, I also like the East/ West Metro series put out by Sportman's Connections. The DNR survey info is a big plus, more lakes are covered and the maps are bigger (but not very detailed).
Both are very handy in my opinion.

I have a Twin Cities Fishing Guide signed by Sybil Smith. My mom's good friend knows Sybil really well and fishes with her a lot. They were in the same fishing club growing up. A very nice lady. Also a good book smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• You can turn an old refrigerator into a pellet smoker....      
    • I bought a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 40" last winter and ended up giving it to a friend of mine to have at his cabin. They are fine, don't get me wrong but I just wasn't happy with the ribs I made in there as opposed to a charcoal smoker. It is ironic that Leech made the comment about a vertical pellet smoker needing to be refilled often because that is one of the things I didn't like about my MES. Maybe Leech's Char Broil has a bigger wood chip hopper but the MES had to be filled about every 20 minutes to keep smoke rolling.   I'm not against electric smokers and if that is what I had started out on I would probably still be using it but I found that instead of having a minimum of 3 pieces of grilling equipment to store and maintain, I can do everything I need to do with just a pellet grill and still have the ease of set it and forget it like an electric smoker. If I needed a very large cooking space I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of those Pit Boss verticals even if I ended up changing out the controller for something with better temp control.
    • A local company here, AEM mapping, has completed mapping the lower basin of lake winnipeg, from winnipeg beach across to the east side, and down to the mouth of the red river. The lower red river from Lockport to the mouth has also been mapped. The structure they found, and the detail is astounding and will be a game changer, especially for folks coming up and have a limited amount of time to fish.  The red is available through hummingbird right now, the AEM maps chips of the red and lake winnipeg are compatable with lowrance units only. A full list of compatable units can be found on their site.  Chips will be available mid December, pricing will be announced shortly.
    • I have had a few electric smokers but if I ever change that up I will definitely go to a pellet smoker. I have had my mind set on making one from an old refrigerator but these bigger pit boss models might just be the ticket.    
    • and lets not overlook the ever present found hound!!!!!!!!
    • Like the rolling cabinet. Looks like a nice storage area for wood chips, scrappers, tin foil and all the other gizmos needed for grilling and smoking. And gets the smoker up so you don't have to bend down to fill it. 🙂
    • My new set up. Got it mid-summer from a friend who hardly used it. So far I have done ribs, loin, crappies, and eggs. And pickles 2 times. excellent on a burger!  
    • 😩😨 i got an electric smoker FREE!!!!!!!!!! i need to get my arse to using it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Ya a couple of stinkers the last two games, one thing that was nice about last year is we finally kicked the large and extended slumps, lets hope to see that again and put some points up. 
    • I bought a Charbroil electric. Really like it. I got the stand for it and put a wheel set on to roll it around. It's got a remote too so you can sit and watch the game inside and still keep an eye on heat, internal meat temp and time and make changes if needed.  I filled the wood chip holder 2 times in the 8hrs the brisket was smoking. 🙂