• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rattle reels

FishFondler

Just curious about opinions on what rattle reel is the best and why from your experience. I am the lucky owner of a new fish house on wheels and need to install 7 rattle reels and never used them before and want to learn what is best to purchase for long lasting quality with best features, easiest spin, loud enough rattle, easy mounting and removal system etc etc.?? Thanks for any help. grin.gif

------------------
Crappie are more than just panfish!!

I have used the rattle wheel brand, they are the wooden ones. I just got a new ice house and put 5 in and they seem to work really good. They come in a couple diffrent styles. One with a swing out arm and several other mounting options. I think they are about 10 bucks a reel.

I've always liked the Walleye Wheels. They are made of wood and have little bells inside. They seem to last forever. I like them because they are a little bigger than the red plastic reels. You can quckly reel them up or down. Plus you can get them in a variety of mounting options. You can also loosen or tighten the tension you desire.

Fishfondler,
I have "Rattle Wheels" in my house and like them. We did make a modification to them by adding a small light weight compression spring behind the wing nut to help maintain a more even pressure on the spool.
My #1 suggestion for whatever model of Rattle Wheel you put in your new house is to spool them with the black plastic coated tip-up line, add a small swivel, 3 feet of 6# to 10# mono, and the hook and sinker of your choice. This stuff is virtually tangle free and easy to handline the fish in with!
50 feet of line is plenty for walleyes.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

mine are the wooden style that are made so that one turn of the wheel is one foot in depth. Don't know the brand as they are about 15 years old. when I go to bed I only fish with 2 (even with 2 guys in the house)
to avoid tangles.

seeyainthewoods bowhunter

I didn't want to pay $10 to $15 for rattle reels so I made my own. And are they nice!

I make the pegs closer together for one and then added a bell. Because of that the bell moves on the slightest movement and instead of a plastic washer I used a metal one w/nylon locking nut so it turns much harder and it is a ton easier to tune for resistance.

I bet I built my own for less than $2 a piece and they are much stronger and much better built. I bet I have made over 20 already. Made 16 for 2 permanent shacks. And I got 4 with a nice clamp on them, so I can use them anywhere, like in a portable or whatever! I got the clamps on sale for $1 too and they are perfect!

I spooled all of mine with nylon line or tip-up line (whatever you want to call it). Just so its easy to unlangle and they get in much less of a mess this way. I then added a swivel and put on a 4' leader of 8lb mono. I put on anywhere from 50' to 75' of line on them also.

Have fun with the rattle reels! I use them all the time and I love them. GL

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

Thanks for the input. It helps to get other views as you sort out what you want with specific products.

Cliff, Thanks for the tips with the riggin.

Sounds like the bigger diameter wooden reels are liked best by those that replied.

LocalGuide, Sounds like you made a bunch of good rattlers. I may have to try that but will likely be lazy and just spend the money when I find what reels I want.

Thanks for the help so far on this. grin.gif

------------------
Crappie are more than just panfish!!

Cliff
Your line tip is Right ON.That is what I use on my rattle Wheels And tipups.It sure makes a tangle free pile on the ice or on the house floor.!
I use the Lewandoski wheels with no troubles.They even have a glow patch on them for so you can see what wheel is going after dark!
------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Try Too Fish (edited 12-30-2003).]

I have 8 in my house. Several different kinds but when I fish alone I always use the Walleye wheels. Not because of the name, but the size...I'm going with bigger is better in this case. I've always caught more walleyes on these types and some of my enginerd background gives me a little theory.

We all know walleye can be very picky. The slightest resistance to any bite can send them away. So here it is...the force needed to spin any rattle reel is a torque (T). T=FxD (Torque = Force times distance). The force a walleye needs to pull on the line to spin the wheel decreases as the diameter increases or basically, increasing the distance (D) from the center to the outside of the spool (torque arm) decreases the force a walleye needs to administer to the line to spin the wheel.

Just a theory, but it's been extensively tested and proven in my house.

------------------
"There are many fish in the sea...but you're the only one I'd like to mount over my fireplace"
--Walter Mathau

I remember when I was really young fishin in my uncle's buddies fish house and the rattle reels were rigged with magnets and they ran a line from each rattle reel to a big circuit box. On the front of the box there were numbers 1 through 6 with lights underneath each number. When the rattle reel would spin on hole #4, the light on the circuit box would light up under the number 4 and a super loud buzzer would go off and scare the holy hell out of everyone. I was probably 5 or 6 at the time and they were all playin cards so I would jig my line a little and it would set off the buzzer and everyones cards would go flyin.

Buckblaster I get your theory that you made. Thats why I make my rattle reels big and one revolution is 12" or a little over (like 12.5" or so). They spin with ease when I get a bite on them. I dont like them small plastic ones that they make either. IMO its just a waste of money.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

The tip-up thing might be a little harder though. Then you start dealing with water resistance and that other stuff. But for a thought why dont you just put the rattle reel under water and some how attach that to a "pop up" tip-up? But like I said the only bad part yet is the water resistance.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

Well, we're exposing a new patent idea to the tipup mfgs out there, but oh well. I have thought about retrofitting one but water drag is a definite issue, also, a new line cage (the little wire coil or casting that the line makes a 90 degree turn in off of the spool) would need to be fabbed.

So I think I might retrofit a larger wheel on one of my wind jiggers. The wind jobbies that have the line spool above the water. Problem with these is on cold days the spool of line likes to freeze up once a fish strips a bunch of your line off and you need to rereel wet line onto the spool. I guess a larger spool would also make it easier for the fish to pull frozen line off also.

------------------
"What should I do...I think he's probably got the hook, I'd set the hook...PLINK....ooohh, I would have gave him some more time"

Maybe if you could come and pick them up? I have a few left, not to many, bout 5 or so. I could possible make some more but it will be a while before it get to it b/c im leaving to go fishing tomorrow morn and will be gone the rest of the week.
If you want to drop me a email you can. [email protected]

Buckmaster while I'm gone fishing I'll see what I can think of. smile.gif It will give me something to do while starring at the vex or the camera. grin.gif

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

Hey LocalGuide...yeah, give it a go. I don't make a point of attempting to fish eyes with tipups, it's just that those times when you get a dropped bite, you always sit there next to the hole thinking...'was that a walter?'

Most of the lakes I enjoy fishing have equal chances of pike and walleye so it wouldn't be a bad idea to try it. It's funny because most guys look at my tipups and wonder why I go from braided dacron or tipup line to a 6-8lb leader...well, I tell them because I get more bites, guaranteed, and betters the chance at walleye. Wait until I unveil the super spool tipup...heads will spin.

Like I said, I'll give it a whirl on one of my wind jiggers...I've got one with an ailment anyway...and see if it performs.

------------------
"What should I do...I think he's probably got the hook, I'd set the hook...PLINK....ooohh, I would have gave him some more time"