• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would you do? (gps/sonar question)

kdawg

I'm in a bit of a quandry, I have a lowrance x125 sonar on my boat that I've had for a few years and have been happy with. The problem is, I went fishing with my bro-in-law last weekend. He has a gps/sonar combo, the lowrance 8 inch model.... now I want one! So I'm thinking, do I get rid of the x125 and buy the combo model, which is a bit expensive, or do I just buy a nice gps. If I just buy the gps only, I'll have a much bigger gps screen than if I bought the combo (for about a grand less) and I don't see a big difference in having two separate units vs the combo. What would you guys do? Will I kick myself down the road for not spending the extra dough? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

I'm in a bit of a quandry, I have a lowrance x125 sonar on my boat that I've had for a few years and have been happy with. The problem is, I went fishing with my bro-in-law last weekend. He has a gps/sonar combo, the lowrance 8 inch model.... now I want one! So I'm thinking, do I get rid of the x125 and buy the combo model, which is a bit expensive, or do I just buy a nice gps. If I just buy the gps only, I'll have a much bigger gps screen than if I bought the combo (for about a grand less) and I don't see a big difference in having two separate units vs the combo. What would you guys do? Will I kick myself down the road for not spending the extra dough? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

I like the combo. Less clutter on the dash.

My dad runs a Edge graph with the Garmin GPS. You find your self going from one screen to another quite a bit wich is fine when you get used to it. I run a X15 (split screen)and love it. Not saying I dont like my dads set up, But looking at one graph is much easyer to keep an eye on where your at for deph and location.

If you can save a grand on running two units. Thats more gas money for this year. Or maby a new rod and reel or two. Plus getting on the wifes good side is a plus as well. LOL

Duck

Im in the same perdicamant but Im thinking buying a gps and also a bigger screen to plug gps into then setting that screen next to fishfinder dont know if thats feasable or not. But hey you 2 big screens your not trying to focus on and you got a gps for camping and the car

A bigger screen for the sonar would be more beneficial than on the gps IMO. If it were me, I would go with a combo and put your old graph up front. I just got a 522c and though it only has a 5" screen (went from an X17 with bigger screen) it is just a better all around unit.

I have a hand held GPS - Lowrance that allows for the Lakemaster Chip - and it works just fine. I can use it in any position in the boat, can take it on a fly in, use it in the truck on a road trip. It has 3 AA batteries or I can plug it in to a standard cig lighter outlet. The versatility this setup provides is much more useful than the combo units IMO.

Tom7227, does that hand held PGS take the full sized SD (aka MMC) chip or does it use a micro SD like my Garmin 76CSx?

Would you mind telling me what model it is?

Sandmannd,

I have been looking at the LMS 522c combo gps / sonar unit thinking it would have the bigger screen (bigger than my handheld Garmin 76CSx anyway) and give me a back up sonar.

But having used a Vexilar Fl-20 would I be dissapointed with the sonar part of the 522c? Or maybe it is even better?

Kdawg, don't want to hijack your thread. Clutter is a problem on my Pro-V dash. I have the sonar plus a marine band radio plus a temp / speed probe for downriggers all crammed on the dash. I like the larger screen of my LCX-19c which I often run with one of the split screen modes. There are so darn many options available now, not just different companies but each, e.g. Lowrance, has so many models. Whew!

As a general rule I have tried to avoid combo units for electronics because if one part goes down or becomes outdated the whole thing is shot but as you can see I violate my own rules. I can honestly say that money spent on electronics adds to the fun I have fishing, whether they are biting or not. Keeps me engaged.

When I bought my recent boat, it had a Bottomline 6500 on it - and older unit but works really well. I like it. But it has an out-dated GPS that wouldn't accept the LakeMaster Chip - so I bought an H20c, thinking that it would be nice to use for icefishing and work for the boat. WRONG. It is too small - way too small.

After I save my pennies, I'm getting a separate GPS - 5 inch color screen. My old eyes can't seem to handle those small screens - and forget split screens, I want to see it all!

Cove, you would not be dissapointed with the 522c IMO. Handhelds are find for ice fishing or hunting, but running a boat I like the bigger models. I haven't used the flasher portion on the 522c, but I can tell you I'm marking a lot better than I ever did with my X15.

Thanks for all the replies guys. There are definately positives to both sides of the argument but I went ahead and bought the lcx-37c yesterday. I like the idea of less clutter on the dash and having the color on the sonar. Plus, the wifey gave me the 'ol green light. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure she was even finished with her sentence before I was backing out of the driveway. Now I can hardly wait to play with the new toy.