• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Found the crappies

City_Slicker

all i can say IS WOW !!!!! 1 comment here does make alot of sense in the management thoughts .. Hats off to you Gottshall ... our dnr could promote a much better fishery in the cities area by doing just as you said , some fish will ONLY GROW To the SIZE that THE POPULATION ALLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure everyone likes big fish .. lets look at this.. they like them so much where are all those big crappies in bowstring? few years ago the crappies were bigger in red also // those 2 lakes are examples of when the masses find out the a lake is producing bigger fish. both of these lakes could have been managed alot better for trophy crappies Dont ya think?

PS.. Gottshall... i have cleaned my share of little dinks too

[This message has been edited by rockhardinmn (edited 12-31-2003).]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOR LEGAL PURPOSES:
What else have you given to your parents city slicker? We need records...
I gave my dad a fillet knife for Christmas. I'm going to ask for it back. One time I cooked up a fish fry and invited my mom. My mom didn't have a fishing license so I'm considering turning myself in. And she ate a walleye fillet too. And once, before I was legally able to own a fishing license, my uncle fed me some northern fillets. I think I should turn him in as he obviously stepped all over the law on that one. I'm going to turn in all my venison too because it didn't come from a 24 point buck. All my tuna cans? You bet. Back to Cub's. I don't even have a tuna stamp. Without a NAFTA contract I better consider returning those delicious clementines. Back to Mexico, little clementines. Back to your pretty clementine patch before someone else tries to eat you.
Just kidding everyone! Happy New Year! Go Gophers!

Maybe we need to take a step back here folks. Population manipulation can and has been done in the past, however, in most cases there is a heck of a lot more involved than the simple "Incidentally, lakes with tons of 3" - 6" 'gills are overpopulated. They're not small because too many people keep 'em, they're small because they can't find food. The best thing that can happen to those lakes is for people to take 'em by the bucketfull."

There are other species in each lake that affect the way a given population performs. You may or may not fix the population by removing the small ones by the bucket full. This is the reasion the DNR does the surveys, the analysis, and makes the recommendations. The problem ususally arises that when push comes to shove on potential new regs the DNR proposes a bunch of anglers don't want to be prevented from doing what they have always done!!

Anyway, the point is that population dynamics are much more complicated that thinking about one species. It involves habitat, spawnig substrate, temperatures, oxygen, photosynthesis, nutrient loading, and of course predation. Lets not oversimplify fisheries management. There is a bunch of research that has been done to prove the contrary. Just think about the whole picture. Thanks and I appreciate the topic.