• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Found the crappies

City_Slicker

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City Slicker, good for you! There are plenty of days spent on the ice when at the end a person drags his cold and sore carcass home empty handed.As long as it's legal,it doesn't hurt to take a limit when you get a chance.Good Luck Fishing!!!

I am a buddy of City_Slicker's and I was out fishing at his spot the other night. Yes I caught my limit and yes I kept them all. City_Slicker and I fish together a lot and being able to catch our limit doesnt happen very often. We work hard to find our spots, So when that opportunity arises, we like to keep some for a tasty meal. That is a part of the sport as far as I am concerned. Don't place a guilt trip on a person if they want to keep some fish for a meal once in a while. The laws are in place for a reason as stated before. I belive to that word of mouth plays a major role in lakes getting fished out, that and people that come out to the lake and just go where others are fishing instead of finding their own spots, that is half the fun I think. Thats happened to us already this year on a annandale area lake, not one person fishing there all winter last year then this year we were first ones on the lake, next thing we know we have 6 houses right on top of our spot. Sure I know the lake is for everyone but come on, when we have people setting up 20 feet from us, have some common courtesy. So, when someone reports on their fishing success, they shouldnt have others jump down their throats.

When I get home from ice fishing I'm tired and don't feel like cleaning fish. Besides I've been fishing all my life and seen lots of people complain that they didn't catch thier limit.
I've seen several lakes in my area where the fishing really went to hell because of meat hunters. In a couple of lakes the one spieces has to be 15", Well all you catch are 14 1/2" fish when they get close to 15" people kill them. The young people in my opinion weren't around long enough to see the effects. The old times were use to catching limits or more but there weren't crouds on the lakes like there are now. The ones that will complain first that they aren't catching fish anymore are the ones that caused it. I could go on for ever on this topic but I had to give my 2 cents.

Better flashers, gps, gps maps, underwater cameras, etc. Even a dummy like me can catch a limit at times. I fish for fun, not food. In my opinion, the fish would either be small or gone if more people didn't practice catch and release. I'm sure the crappie limit was changed for a reason.

I think the real threat to a lake is the shear number of fisherman. It used to be that you could walk in to a lot of remote lakes and still catch nice fish with good numbers. In the last decade the number of people fishing, mobility with snowmobiles and 4 wheelers, "portable" fish houses, power augers, makes it possible for people to fish any lake anywhere. There is no place for fish to hide anymore even if we didn't have sonar, cameras, or whatever. Not that anything is wrong with any of these toys. It just makes it possible for a lot more people to fish.
I personally make many more trips with little or know fish than trips with a limit. If I can catch a limit I take them and enjoy them. I don't feel guilty since I don't get out fishing near as often as I would like to and then, like I said, when I do go the numbers are not always there. If I don't get to enjoy them it could be that a less conscientious person will.

Cripes if the guy wants to keep a legal limit, let him keep his legal limit.

I catch fish, I eat fish. Pretty simple.

I agree that some people get rather piggish, but I didn't get that he was being piggish from his post.

Not everyone gets a limit every time out on the water, so keeping one every now and then is not a piggish thing.

I know some people believe heavily in catch and release, but not everyone shares that opinion. Let it go at that, please smile.gif

I sure do wish I could catch a crappie or two. And I can't honestly say that I wouldn't bring my limit home either, but here's what I can say. If I find the "motherload", I say nothing to no one, I fish it like I want it to be there awhile, and I will continue to do so for as many years as the fish population will allow it. It's his hole, let him deplete it at his own disgression(legally of course).

[This message has been edited by student (edited 12-29-2003).]

Ok I would keep my limit too. But I always make sure im under my possession limit also.
If the fish are biting fast and furious I will probably keep my limit or atleast some nice eaters for a meal and then C&R the really big ones and the small ones. The only reason I do this is b/c I go out fishing every chance I get and I have instances were I have caught a lot of fish. I have also realized what a impact a lake (small less than 1000 acres) could have if I kept everything and then gave fish away to relatives. I now enjoy releasing fish and watching them swim away. Wondering if I will ever catch that fish again.
But for those people that get out 1-4 times a month I wouldn't really care if they kept their limit. But for someone that fishes over 6 days a month and is keeping a limit every time they go out, it could hurt a small lake (if its the same one all the time).

Hey gang.
A good question was asked and then kind of squashed. I've always wondered myself...If you give some fish to someone (grandparents, neighbor, etc) do they have to possess a license? And if not, do they count against your possession limit? I guess I better start calling around and see who still has fish in their freezer. Maybe I'm breaking the law and don't know it?

I'm not taking anyones side, I'm just trying to maybe understand the original purpose of the criticism.

Nobody here has a problem with you keeping your fish to eat a meal. That was never said. The thing that myself and several others ahve a problem with is that if you (and a few friends and maybe their friends, etc) keep your limit on a regular basis you CAN overfish a body of water.

Just look at the walleyes on Mille Lacs and Red lake. Consider all the slot regulations for different species and the slowly shrinking daily and possession limits. They ARE reducing limits and creating new regulations so that over-fishing can be avoided.

I live in the Metro and there is a certain portion of the population that fishes from the shore and keeps every single thing they catch no matter what the size or species. It drives me insane to see 50 3-6" sunnies in a bucket. I don't care that they are gonna eat them.....good for them, my problem is that I can no longer find a dang sunfish over 5" in any of the lakes I could find 10"rs 2-3 yrs ago.

Of course you don't think what you're doing is gonna put "that big of a dent" in the population, but if they were so hard to find do you really think there are a lot of keeper crappies in that population? Enough to sustain 8-10 limits or more in a winter alone.

I'm glad you worked hard to find those fish and I'm sure you'll be happy as long as you keep catching them, but what will happen when your spot goes cold and you can't find any good fish again. Do you think you other spots went cold just cause the fish couldn't hack it anymore?

[This message has been edited by Powerstroke (edited 12-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dennis Steele (edited 12-29-2003).]

The problems on Mille Lacs and Red Lake are from more than just your recreational fisherman keeping a limits of fish. Commercial fishing and certain other things (that are too hot of a topic) certainly didn't help.

I guess I'm no expert on Crappie movements but how long are these fish likley to stay in this one spot? I'm guessing City Slicker will be on the hunt again sometime soon. City Slicker, if you have any extra fillets, I'll take them, I DO have a license. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 12-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dennis Steele (edited 12-29-2003).]

BDR, where is it in the regs about gifting and not having them count? That's a new one to me & I have been fishing for the past 50+ years.
I have absolutely NO problem with a person taking a legal mess of fish for his consumption but I have seen far too many lakes completely ripped in just a couple seasons to be complacent about this subject.

Wow!! Now I am getting ripped on giveing my parents some fish. What a joke. Well If you need to know my parents both have lincense and there are 3 kids under the age of 16 so they should have beable to have 50 crappies in possesion. Well now they have 7 crappies in possesion so they should be able to have hmmmm,let me get my Calculator.
(50-7=43) Yep 43.And no I am not includeing that as part as my limit. Lets say I went to Cubs and bought some Walleye fillets. Would it be illegal for me to buy 14 fillets?(7 fish) Some of you guys really need to get a grip. And if you guys want to know my honey hole. ITs called Lard Lake. Its 2 branches to the north smile.gif PEace out

------------------
Keep the fryin pan hot

[This message has been edited by City_Slicker (edited 12-29-2003).]

Woah Hoss, no way was I ripping about giving the folks fish as I did that myself when they were around. I meant it as an awareness thing as you would feel pretty stupid if something happened. I have absolutely no interest in your spot or spots but I can assure you that they will not long remain good after a few people tell a few who tell a few who tell. It is very frustrating to think you have a spot to yourself and come back in 2 days to an area crawling with people. Sorry for the wrong impression.

Hey Slicker,

If I were you, I'd delete this post to put an end to the hassle you're getting. I sure wouldn't take it personally, unless all these guys know you & your intentions personally. I doubt that.

I think it's excellent that you give your folks fish. I think it's excellent that you have fish to eat yourself. I think it's excellent that you're catchin' 'em, & wish I were with you. I bet you won't be on the fish for long, & probably won't personally destroy your lake.

In IL we don't have a "possession limit" on fish in the freezer, so I'm not sure I understand all the concern. I think it's just another jab.

I have no reason to believe you're keeping an irresponsible amount of fish. Most of the other guys here must know you personally, otherwise they wouldn't be railing on you. Then I'll go back to may last post - how many of them have ever eaten, or worse-yet mounted, a Bass? Is that hypocritical?

Incidentally, lakes with tons of 3" - 6" 'gills are overpopulated. They're not small because too many people keep 'em, they're small because they can't find food. The best thing that can happen to those lakes is for people to take 'em by the bucketfull. I just hope they're eating them. I've never cleaned a 3" bluegill. . .

So have fun, be responsible, and don't feel bad about keeping some fish. Walk away from your computer, & don't look at this post again.

Paul

PowerStroke--there are a lot of good arguements about not taking your limit every time, but Mille Lacs and Red are hardly two of them.

When I was a kid fishing Leach (in the 70's) the main culprit of the day was the people coming up from Iowa taking every fish they pulled in. In the end, I'm not sure how much damage they did. My guess is you can put too much pressure on a given lake, but there were a lot of assumptions made based on City's first post which seemed fairly innocent to me.

I only visit two forums frequently. Both are very informative, but like all communication done on one level, it's easy for things to get out of hand.

There's a ton of good info on this site--thanks to all that contribute.

I've been fishing for 40 years and I hate to admit it but I've rarely come home with my "limit" of fish...especially walleyes! The things I enjoy about fishing is being outdoors, fishing with friends and of course the "hope" of landing the big one! I figure if I get fish to bring home its a bonus!! I have no problem with someone catching a limit of whatever species and cleaning them up and giving some away...live and let live is what I say!!

------------------
Hey, you're bobber's down!!