• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Found the crappies

City_Slicker

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that every time some one post that they are catching alot of fish they are attacked. With things like "is that good for the lake to be catching that many fish. Or "there is a possesion limit" I know the laws. Some people like to eat fish that they catch. And they can follow the laws and eat the fish they catch at the same time. I think its funny that some people look down on other people cause they eat the fish they catch.

(they have been catching their limit every night with ease).

I keep plenty of fish but I don't see to many people out ice fishing that are just catch & release fishing. I don't care if you keep the fish or not. They are everyones fish some keep a few some keep a limit some keep none. I just don't see getting there limit every night as not keeping alot of fish espesially if you have been looking this long and just found them. Seems to me you would keep as many as you can. I also agree it sucks driving an hour to keep 10 Crappies but thats a choice people make . Sorry didn't mean to jump down your throat ..

city slicker

good observation; I have noticed that too. Seems like you should buy all the lic. and keep the industry going by buying boats,tackle,bait, etc. but if you decide to eat the fish you legally caught or shoot those deer or ducks you aren't a sportsman anymore. Didn't people use to hunt or fish to eat them and feed thier family? And I know many will say we don't need to do that anymore, they just fish for the sport or it's something to do. I have seen way too many fishermen over the last few years catch a nice fish and throw it back only to have it floating 5 min. later on the surface, even when they gut-hook one just because they don't like to clean fish or they don't like the taste of fish.

Im happy for you aswell. It sounds to me like you actually did some work to get these crappies.

But I can see where some of the others are coming from. It can hurt a lakes population if you and your buddies go out and catch a limit of crappies each nightly.

City_slicker, just for the he11 of it, why don’t you keep track of every crappie you and your friends take this winter from your honey-hole. Come next spring, post the number on this thread. I think that it could stimulate an interesting discussion about a lot of issues regarding fish and fishing.

I have been taking a limit for the past couple of nights. But I eat the fish the same nights.And I can do that by law. Trust me I do plenty of catch and release. I dont think I kept 1 fish during the summer time fishing. I just enjoy eating tasty crappies. 10 crappies are plenty for me cause I am really lazy and I dont want to clean much more then that. Heck last night I gave my fish to my parents smile.gif

Like everybody we work hard to find a good place to fish and like keeping a limit of fish when ever we want. Some people have luck and some people dont. Nobody is doing any damage to the lake unless they are going over their possession limit.

Adam,

So sorry, but I strongly disagree.

Say for instance I'm fishing a very small southern Metro lake. I'm on a very hot (insert fish species here) bite. If I invite alot of my friends, and they invite some of there friends out, that spot will get fished out quite quickly if everyone is keeping there legal limit.

My .02

------------------
Paul
[email protected]
Marcum
Otter Outdoors
Stone Legacy

Hey City Slicker, I'm with you all the way. I obey the laws as they are written. If somebody tries to impose their misguided sense of morality on me I just smile and tell them to jump in the lake.

It has been my experience that many of the self proclaimed conservationists are only trying to boost their own self esteem. To judge a persons character by how many fish he eats is laughable. If the critics think the possesion limits are too liberal they are welcomed to work to change those laws, but until they are changed I'll keep what I can.

In summary; Obey all game laws, including possesion laws. Keep only what is legal. Don't let enyone make you feel guilty for enjoying the delicious bounty of this great land. (IMHO)... wink.gif Polar Bear

Hey Paul I dont tell my anyone my spots. Cause what happens is you get about 50 people on your hole. I work to find my spots and I am not going to tell everyone about them. And when I do find a hole and I am catching nice fish I am going to keep as many as the law allows. IF you dont want to keep any fish thats your problem not mine.

City Slicker and others. The problem with the rush on ice fishing is not that one or two individuals keeps their respective limit for a few days. The problem comes when many folks keep there respective limits, are double, triple tripping, etc. The word gets out, and with ice fishing the access is not nearly as much of an issue. Why do you keep a limit if you give them away? Because we can? I have heard many stories of people giving relatives, neighbors, their banker etc. While it may be an honerable gesture, with every keeper fish regardless of species, it takes several years to replace. This varies from as "young" as age 4 for northerns and walleye, to age 9 or older for some larger panfish. Just think how long it will take to replace them. I keep and eat fish too, however, I don't let my honey hole become my gift tree either. How many fish can you really eat? This is just a conversation piece, not an accusation. Just think about the "big" picture, that's all I am recommending. Do we all need to take are limit? The intent of limits is to distribute the harvest among the ever increasing many. shocked.gif Lets be sure we keep it that way. Thanks and I look forward to more discussion.

I don't think the implication here is on track. The assumption was made that the "limits" were being kept, where the original poster simply said that his buds were "catching" thier limits every day. You can fish until your arms are sore, all the while catching fish, say sunfish, and break no limit laws if you are not keeping any or have not exceeded the limit. You MUST remain one under the limit to be legal to continue fishing for a specific specie...the last one on being your limit legally and either has to be returned or start fishing for another species. Possession laws state that your daily limit is it. If you have 10 craps in the freezer, technically you are violating the law by even fishing for them until they are used up. But as far as catching limits...I have caught a hundred or more craps in a morning and not kept a one. Perhaps these guys were doing the same. Still the same, every body is responsible for how they manage what they catch. I don't tell only but very trusted friends where or what is happening. I post the basics because I want to be fishing these spots in years to come with the same results. Remember that just because some people appear to be conscientious about keeping only what they can eat when you take them to your little jewel does not mean they will not invite thier "other" bunch of pals and have a hayday while you are working. And then the cycle of demise begins. Go ahead and fish. Keep a few for the table. Play Paul Harvey though, but don't tell the rest of the story. Every body will be happier.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Hey Tom, being a fellow southern Mn. guy I know where you are coming from. I have learned my lesson and witnessed it happen to some pretty good fishing holes. One has to be tight lipped on location anymore cause the word does get around fast if it falls into the wrong ears. Flip

Lighten up guys.

Any of you guys giving CitySlicker a hard time ever eat a bass? Ever mount a Walleye or a Muskie? I assume not, as that would be pretty hypocritical, wouldn't it? Any idea how long it takes for for a Bass to reach 3lbs?

I've read that you can do a damage to a lake on the ice, as they tend to school-up, but I've never hit the mother-load, so've never damaged a lake too much. If (when) I do, I won't keep from the hole every night all season-long, but I won't feel guilty about taking my limit sometimes. God put the critters here for us, & they taste too good to throw 'em all back.

Bass go back. Walleyes only go in the livewell if I'm going to eat them.

Don't feel guilty about keeping a few fish to eat, & don't lay a guilt trip on someone else who you aren't sure is being irresponsible.

Paul

[This message has been edited by P Gottshall (edited 12-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by P Gottshall (edited 12-28-2003).]

Exactly if you can get your limit and you want to take it I have no problem with that. In reality how many fishermen can go out and limit out every time they go out anyway. I consider myself a good fisherman, and I don't limit every time even catching a limit much less taking a limit. So if I get on a lake and its got a good bite, I'll take some fish home to eat; cause the next time you go out you may get nothing.

City Slicker, Congragulations! I sure bet, it feels good to finally succeed at something that you have worked so hard to achieve! Wish I could find them like that! But, I dont get the chance to go very much so I probably will never find them.
Congrats!....You have earned your reward! smile.gif