• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Change of plans?

Scott K

I was wondering how many of you have had a change of plans for fishing trips and vacations do to the high price of gas?

Myself, I have only been to my cabin 1 time this year, should be more like 6-8 times! I havent been on any long distant fishing trips this year yet. I usually have been upnorth fishing atleast 2 times as of this point in the open water season. Memorial day weekend has been an anual thing to go to the cabin, this year I will more then likely be spending it around home, with a trip to Vally Fair (YAH). I will be taking a trip to Chicago in July, I am bringing the family to a Nascar race. But with the price of gas, we wont be doing as much there as we origanally planned.

I was wondering if I am the only one cutting back on trips? Or are you not letting the gas prices change how you are going to make trips?

I would think that a day at Valley Fair would wipe out any savings you get by not spending money on gas to go fishing.

I'm probably going to have to cut back on the number of times I get out also. But, in the long run, I'm going to have to figure out where else I can save money because the cost of gas won't be dropping anytime soon, and I'm not going to quit fishing.

I am fortunate enough to live close to many lakes that don't involve long traveling in the truck. I don't know what I would do if I had to drive hours to fish a certain body of water. I feel for you guys who have to do this.

Instead of fishing large bodies of water running and gunning this summer, I will be focusing on smaller ponds that I can fish the whole lake in a day instead of just scratching the surface in a day. Small lakes where trolling motors can get you around easliy is a definate priority for this guy.

CA

I think I pay more for milk in a week than I do in burning gas in the boat. If I have to eat dry cereal for a day, so be it. I am not going to let a little gas hike spoil my enjoyment of the lake.

Wont change any of my plans. The higher prices for food and fuel (and almost every consumable product in existence) are a result of rising oil. Funny thing is that when the government releases its CPI (Consumer Price Index aka inflation gauge) it has stripped the cost of food and fuel because they are to volatile, go figure. As long as oil continues to set new records prices will rise on just about everything. Good Fishing!!!

I have been looking at getting a small semi-v boat for fishing. Due to gas prices, and other things I have decided to get a kayak instead.

So don't run me over if you see me out on the lakes, I am there to save money on gas, get some exercise and catch some fish too.

in a word, yes.

I'm selling my truck as it's overkill for pulling my little 14' crestliner... Subaru wagon here I come.

I'm planning on shorefishing for the majority of the time..

I'm always looking for ways to combine trips with other activities to save gas....

it's unavoidable these days I'm afraid.

Having switched from a Nissan Sentra to a V8 Silverado I am no longer carefree about where I fish, I stick to the closest places and have been looking for fishable locations closer to home. I am not really excited for boat owners to start crowding my shore spots though smile

I'll be fishing more in the metro this year than in the past. We're already skipping this weekend going up north, and we only have a couple other weekends planned at this point.

I'll be fishing more in the metro this year than in the past. We're already skipping this weekend going up north, and we only have a couple other weekends planned at this point.

This is a common theme I think. With more people concentrating their fishing efforts on the metro lakes it could make or break many of them. Either the increased attention causes the DNR and anglers to promote and protect the fisheries from overfishing, or they get overfished. Also, ramps and parking could get quite bad for many of the more popular lakes.

I'll be staying in the metro more and finding more folks to fish with to help split gas and it's jut more fun to fish with folks. I won't let the gas man keep me from fishing though. You can't take away all our joys in life and this is one of my biggest.

I usually stick around the home front being I live on the St.Croix. But the gas prices will effect how far out on the river I go. But I am going to try to do a few trips up north to help things out up there. I figure in fall combine a fishing trip with some grouse hunting up north.

Absolutely it has. I usually go up north to LOW or URL but with the price of gas approaching 4 bucks it is hard to justify driving that far for 3 walleyes. Gas, bait, food, lodging... It all adds up. Plenty of local lakes to explore.

we have a cabin up in northern mn and i will find ways to get up there on regular basis. theres just no $ amount you can put on time spent up there in my opinion. the peace and quite and all. maybe buy cheaper beer, make longer weekends, go with others to split costs are a few thoughts that come to mind.

It will definately keep me closer to home than if it had stayed about a buck cheaper a gallon. I am going up north next week and again in August but that will be the extent of the long trips.

Most other trips will be within 30 mins of the house. I get bored fishing the same waters repeatedly.

I have been up every weekend since opener. I bring buddies with me so they can share the gas and food costs. Works out.

I also got rid of my truck and got a car. Cant haul a boat with it, but its MUCH less expensive. I got guys with trucks that can move the boat if need be. Wont work for everyone, but does ok for me. I miss my truck though frown