• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR netting reports for Mille Lacs and Alexander

Was just looking at some of the numbers that were pulled up in the nets from Mille Lacs and Alexander. Has Alex come a long ways, eh? Although they didn't pull any fish over 50, they managed quite a few fish in the big 40's. I am sure that there are some 50's swimming around in there. As for Mille Lacs......we all know the monsters swimming around in that lake. However, the DNR netted a 54.4X 29 MONSTER. Figured it to be in the 57 pound range! All you can say about that is OH MY!!!! shocked

What kind of nets do they use? I hope they are not injuring these fish. Alexander is decent for numbers of fish and you can catch some of decent length. The only problem with Alexander is that the fish are noticeably skinnier than other lakes that I fish. I wish I knew why the fish in Alexander don't get that big body build. I would guess it is because of the forage base in the lake, but I have had people tell me it is loaded with tulibees? I question whether or not there is many tulibees in Alexander.

Alex's tulibee's are nearly non-existant now-a-days. They have started to stock some in recent years to try and get the population back. I do think that is the reason for skinnier fish also. I have seen pics of a 52" out of Alex.

The DNR uses trap (hoop) nets to survey muskies as muskies are to large to effectively get caught in gill nets. I helped the Little Falls area fisheries net Alex in the spring of '96, the first year that they netted a 40" fish. Lake has come a long way since then, better walleye fishing too.