• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mitchell reels

Scott K

I have seen a Mitchell spinning reel that had a clicker built into it, it would also beep as the line was being taken. Does anyone know what series this reel is? And if they still make them? Or if other companies make something simular?

The only spinning reels I’ve seen that have a clicker or baitrunner are:

Shimano Baitrunner

Omuma Epixor/Cabelas Salt Striker

Penn Live Liner

As far as an audible beeper, that would be something new. I know they make third party ones you can clip to your line. A lot of European Carp fisherman use them.

I was fishing with someone Friday night and he had one. He told me what it was but I had a few beers in me and I cant remember now! I will get ahold of him this weekend and ask him again. He said it was 2 years old, it was a mitchell, it had the clicker and a built in beeper that beeped as the line went out. To stop the clicker you had to reel in the reel 5 turns then the clicker would be off. Thats all I really remember though!

Look for carp-specific gear from Europe. I remember seeing something like that while looking for carp reels. I know Mitchell makes some carp-specific stuff that I haven't seen here in the US.

In the mid- to late-90's the product manager for Mitchell (at Johnson Worldwide Associates - now Johnson Outdoors) tried to make a big push on different reels. There were several bait-runner type reels with clickers for saltwater use. Several were plenty large for catfish.

JWA was the distributor and owned the brand rights for Mitchell in the US. JWA sold the rights to Pure Fishing in approximately 2000 (along with SpiderWire, SpiderCast, Johnson reels, Beetle Spins, Silver Minnows, Little Stinker, etc...). I think Pure Fishing positioned Mitchell back to where it belongs in the US market. (in the $20-$50 category)

I looked for my old product catalogs and parts diagrams... must have been thrown out after the sale or sent to a Mitchell service center. I am not familiar with their current line of products.

4wanderingeyes-

Is this similar?

Zebco HawgSeeker Spinning Reel

"Our patented electronic Bite Alert senses a strike and immediately notifies you with an audible alarm and bright flashing light — you'll never miss another bite. This waterproof technology is featured in a heavy spincast or spinning platform, and has an adjustable sensitivity lever for fine tuning the pressure needed to activate the alarms. This versatility allows the angler to set the Bite Alert to fit the weight or movement of the bait being fished, or adjust to the current in the moving water.

Hawgseeker_SP_reel.jpg

I'm still biting my tongue on this one... Conjures up images of Glowsticks and Clonks. grin

I tested the first 6000 and 7000 class Mitchell Baitfeeder reels, they all failed. I tore them up on one trip to Lockport. They did not have strong enough suport on the side shaft bearings and the torque ripped the mail pinion gears to shreds. So...not my first pick for kittys.

On the other hand the Shimano Baitrunner reels I own have stood up to 10 years of hard cat'n, they have caught many, many, tons of cats, and still work well. You do not need to go to the Thunnus ($239) class in these reels, the 6500 Baitrunner will do the trick for much less cash. Light to med duty or pike action the BTR3500B is a good choice. For med duty cat'n the BTR4500B is big enough, works very well. For the big kittys the BTR6500B is the real deal in spinning reels.

BTR3500B 14 LB/185 YARDS

BTR4500B 20 LB/195 YARDS

BTR6500B 20 LB/270 YARDS

The Baitrunner 4500 Reel has a graphite rotor, and the Baitrunner 6500 has an aluminum rotor. Cost will run $99 to $129 +\- $10.

Reel features:

* Waterproof drag system

* Fluidrive® gearing

* Super Stopper II®

* 3-bearing system

* Large-capacity aluminum spool

A very good economic cat spinning reel, with no

Baitrunner feature, is the Quantum Olympus 60, or the 80. They are a saltwater class reel and they stand up to Paddlefish snagging and come in at a very conservative $30 to $39.

Olympus Specifications

MODEL BEARINGS GEAR RATIO LINE CAPACITY

OL60F 4 4.9:1 315 yds. / 14 lb.

OL80F 4 4.9:1 395 yds. / 20 lb.

The new Zebco Hawg Seeker is a nifty deal in a economic light to med grade kitty spinning or Spincast reel. The combo's go for as little as $40 and has a heavy-action E-Glass rod. A good starter combo for kids who want a little extra Bling-Bling in there fishing to keep interested.

Or adults with the same compulsion...face it...gadgets are Kewl...Eh. wink

4wanderingeyes-

Is this similar?

Zebco HawgSeeker Spinning Reel

"Our patented electronic Bite Alert senses a strike and immediately notifies you with an audible alarm and bright flashing light — you'll never miss another bite. This waterproof technology is featured in a heavy spincast or spinning platform, and has an adjustable sensitivity lever for fine tuning the pressure needed to activate the alarms. This versatility allows the angler to set the Bite Alert to fit the weight or movement of the bait being fished, or adjust to the current in the moving water.

Hawgseeker_SP_reel.jpg

I'm still biting my tongue on this one... Conjures up images of Glowsticks and Clonks. grin

That looks simular, and has about the same features. I wonder how strong the reel is?

I'm actually going to get the spincast version of the Hawg Seeker for my kid's first cat rig... blinky lights and kids go hand in hand. think of it as bait for the kid until they get to fight the first biggun in!

I vote for Zebco!

LOL's

heck I use a 33 on my bullhead rod, and a 733 on one of my tightliner rods.

after all is said and done the old Zeb's still have a place at the table.