• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hemi Durango w/ MDS tech

Anyone have the Dodge Durango with the MDS technoligy that drops it from an 8 to a 4?? I am looking for a new veh for my wife. Just currious if anyone has one and what the MPG is for freeway/highway use?? I know what they post :D, but also know that actuall is less then EPA estimates they put on the stickers madcry!!

I dont have one, but I know if you do a lot of highway driving it helps with economy, but if you city drive, or stop and go traffic more often it wont bennifit you much!

We have a 2006 Durango with a hemi. My wife drives it. The truck has been great. I wouldn't buy another with a hemi in it however. My wife uses it as a grocery getter, hauling kids around etc and gets about 12 MPG. On the highway you may be able to get 17 with a tail wind.

The 8 to 4 technology certainly would help. I think I would go with the non-hemi v-8 however. A friend has one and it gets alot better mpg and still has plenty of power.

I am familuar with the non Hemi durango and like it but it averages around 15mpg. I have found that the MDS tech only comes with the Hemi engine. In the 25 mile to work about 15 of it is Interstate with 8 light city/co driving and then the rest is city driving. Wondering what we could expect with the MDS for overall milage. Anyone out there have a MDS engine?? Thanks GoFish4

I have an 06 Durango with the Hemi with MDS + 4WD. I have about 38k miles on mine. To be honest, mileage really depends on how you drive and where you drive. I live in west Bloomington, so I am driving in city most of the time, and traffice stinks around here (they still haven't taken the stoplights out of the 169/494 intersection yet as one example).

Sorry for the sidetrack, in the winter I was getting 14.5 in the city and 17.5 on the HWY. This summer I am getting about 15 and 18. However, I recently took a trip to central minnesota on I94 and averaged 19 with the cruise set in the low 70's. (yes I drive a little slower know that gas is so expensive!!!)

So long story short, it doesn't get great mileage, especially in the city, but its not too bad if you do alot of highway driving, comparable to other vehicles in that segment. We love the power of the Hemi and the ride in it is surprisingly smooth in terms of handling and power delivery. In fact my inlaws borrowed it who normally drive an Escalade and they really liked it.

Haven't had any problems with it yet, but haven't had it that long. You can get good deals on SUV's now, as that market is significantly down, but you are going to pay at the pump if you put alot of miles on with it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps!

CJH

Thanks CJH. That is what I am looking at. She is up in the air between the Durango and the Arcadia from GMC. She puts on about 20,000 a year so we are looking at how much our gas bill would be. Arcadia is about 22 mpg so depending on price I guess we will have to see what the dealerships have on hand. Thanks for the info!!

No problem, glad to help. Can't knock the Acadia's, as those are great vehicles as well. The Acadia's going to get better mileage, but don't forget to consider purchase price vs. the mileage for the amount of time you plan on owning the vehicle.

Also, if you decide to go with the Acadia, I would ask the dealer when the upgraded v6 with direct injection is rolling out to it, as its coming in the near future and should get you 20-30 more ponies and +1mpg. (not sure when they are rolling it out)

Good Luck!!

CJH

Yep, been waiting, only knock I have found on the Acadia's is thier lack of passing power once at higher speed. Off the line sounds OK but high end passing sounds like a week point. I have a GMC sierra and love it. We plan on keeping it awhile so unless Dodge wants to give away the Durango we will more and likely end up with the Acadia. Not a huge hurry as the wife likes the Jeep she is in now. GMC must be waiting for the new model as not that many Acadia's out there right now.

I believe the plant that makes them has been on strike, but that it is now resolved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they DI engine rolls out with the 09 model year. Its going to become the standard engine, and it has been confirmed it will be the standard in the new Chevy version of the family of crossovers, that is rolling out this summer of fall, I believe. That v6 even with DI isn't going to pass like the hemi, but with the mileage you are going to put on, the extra 4-5mpg is probably worth it, and the 25 more ponies should help that out as well!