• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Mr55371

Auger Sharpening

I see Strikemaster has a blade sharpener for their augers. It looks a whole lot like the one one I already had in my tool box. Small had held job with a V shaped sharpening jib. So in my infinite wisdom, I put it to work on my blades and headed out on the ice. The results were far from what I was expecting. I'd have done better to try to punch a hole with the handle. Is this Strikemaster sharpener different from these regular blade sharpeners...? I think I may just do better to buy new blades each season.

[This message has been edited by Mr55371 (edited 12-27-2003).]

I just baught one myself. I think it works great. I think it's extremely important to use it in the right direction. If you look at the sharpener, one side has a flat piece of steel and the other side has the sharpener. You need to make sure that sharpener is used only on the beveled side of the blade and never on the flat side of the blade. It's also important to keep the steel piece flush on the flat side of the blade. Another point, the sharpener probably won't fix a blade in real bad shape. The sharpener is to maintain a sharp blade after every 4-5 uses. Hope this helps.

I have one and it seems pretty good for keeping the edge but wont bring back a banged up one.
Fishermans corner has regrinds for about 6-9 bucks w/exchange and they work as good as new. keeping them clean is a must also, rust will ruin the blade and it will be hard to keep an edge.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

The V-sharpeners tend to take too much meat/steel off the blade.

The trick is ONLY hone the TOP edge, NEVER the bottom.

I do mine now with a 5" diamond impregnated hone made for sharpening arrows. I just work the top edge with the stone in a semicircular fashion, paying close attention to the angle. This has been very good to me this season on my hand auger. So far I have not managed to trash a set of shaver blades.

I trashed a set last year with a V-sharpener, took too much off the bottom and they are completely worthless. Honing only the top is the trick with shavers.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

I use a regular mill file to sharpen my auger blade and it works great. You also have to keep the point on the end of the shaft sharp, because that acts kinda like a pilot hole for the main blade.

I have the bait shop do mine, and yes he does the center point too, wow what a diff., just like new now. He charges $10. its worth it for me I can usally get 2-years out of a sharpning, if I watch where I drill.

Exchanging my dull blades for ones that have been sharpened is exactly what I like to do. Is there anyplace in the LOW area where you can do this? I live in Warroad. frozenminnow-Where is Fisherman's Corner?

------------------
DIRTBALL2

Fishermans Corner is in Pike Lake just north of Duluth. I find it easiest and more time effective to carry extra blades and exchange as needed.

Thanks for the input. I took the sharpener to the blades again and they work good once again. Funny what a little bit of knowledge does for you, eh...?

Fishermans corner is in Duluth (Hermantown) on Highway 53 ph. 218-729-5369 I dont know but they may do phone orders, they are very helpful folks at this store.
good luck.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)