• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice House Liscenses

BIG

Northlander,according to pg. 43 of the minnesota fishing regs. you do not need a license for your fish house if you are fishing the boundry waters between minnesota and wisconsin.Hope this helps.Good fishing,Don

Northlander
Reading through this thread I have been wondering about the very issue you brought up regarding the DNR's need to see our names or DL numbers on the outside of an attended portable fish house. I'm sure the only reason for the existance of this law is like you said, to keep tabs on scofflaw fish house owners who do things like litter or leave houses out past the removal deadline or abandon them. Putting your name on a fish trap or otter makes about as much sense as putting your name on a boat or a snowmobile. None of this equipment is generally left unattended in the middle of the lake which means a CO can check the ID of the owner or operator any time it is on the lake. I would be interested to hear if anyone could think of a good reason to have the law require us to have our names displayed on the outside of a flipping style house.

Theres a lot of shacks that come off the ice at night. What definition would the CO use for portable? I don't have a problem with the display law, well thats unless I forget my sign at home. Wouldn't it make it easier for the sportsmen to police themselves with the DL or address displayed?

Ya, I'm sure. It started last year. Northlander, how long u benn fishing. I started to fish in the 90's Still I know u need new licenses every Feb. 28th or 29th. U renew fishing license, u should b able to remember shelter license too.

Most of you guys are too young to remember when a shelter license was sold by the calander year. It was a real pain to make sure that your new tabs went up on Jan 1. You know who was checking on Jan 2. Only DNR fine I ever got.
I for one like the seasonal permits.

Surface Tension
If I were to practice catch and release on crappies here in good old Minnesota, I would start tossing them back after I had 9 in the bucket.
I have several fish houses out there and I have tags on all of them except my portable, I keep tags on them because sometimes I let my friends use my other shacks, when I take my portable out I just grab a tag off one of the shacks I am not using.