• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fact or Fiction

Gordon Fothergill

I have heard that exposing your hands to extremely cold temps can cause arthritis over time. Is this true? I tend to not wear gloves alot when Ice fishing so over time my hands become acclimitized to the cold. My concern is that I may be causing harm to my joints because this season my finger joints (mainly index) now ache when exposed to cold temps. I know alot of you guys have hands like me (alligator like and bleeding from cracking). Whats your thoughts guys?

Gordon, I did a lot of research on this subject when I was in college and yes repeated exposure can cause arthritis.

I kneel on the ice a lot when we are hole hopping and two years ago I could hardly walk by the end of the winter. I switched to Guidewear just for that reason. I don't have problems with my knees now.

I worry a lot about my hands because I never wear gloves. There are a lot of other ways to get arthritis, but that is one of them. The good thing is it is easily prevented grin.gif

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Last year I noticed my hand were getting deep cracks from ice fishing a lot. I saw a product called Zim's Crack Cream (that's the real name!)and bought some. It was developed by a pharmisist for guys that work in cement. If you use it for a couple of weeks, you will see your hands heal qickly. It really works. You can buy it in most drug stores.
Here is a link if you want to read up on the product.
http://crackcream.com/

My hands get dried out, cracked and split open until they bleed at times. Can hardly hold a cup of coffee when they're like this. My remedy - put a little "new skin" or "liguid bandaid" in the cuts and you're ready to head back out on the lake for more fun and punishment. In a pinch, I'll use super glue.

Greg Clusiau

Put petroleum jelly on your hands. Then put on surgical latex gloves and go to sleep. You'll be amazed how well the cracks have healed by morning. Do this a few nights in a row and you'll be as good as new.

If you don't like a latex rainsuit, try Cornhusker's Lotion.

By the way, arthritis has run in my family for several generations. While there are many instances in which repeated exposure to cold weather has aggravated arthritis symptoms, I've yet to find evidence that such cold weather actually causes arthritis. My grandfather, when he died, had it so bad he couldn't shake anyone's hand. When my hands get seriously cold my symptoms are worse (stiff fingers, slow hand reactions, joint pain), but the cold weather hasn't truly caused my disease, which is partially hereditary, it's simply made it worse.

Cold and stiff knee and other leg joints, frequently encountered when kneeling on the ice for extended periods, are not necessarily arthritis. Lowering the body's temperature in any region causes slower neural responses.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-27-2003).]

Arthritis!!
Oh no!
That ailment runs in my family allready.I have been working in the construction industry for over 15 years now and I don't wear gloves.Can't really stand not having any dexterity at work or while fishing.It also seems silly to buy a sensitive rod and then put an inch of insulation between you and that rod!
I have noticed that over the years the bleeding cracks do not heal as quickly as before.Gets worse every year.
I do use the latex glove trick but I use a product called Aquaphor available at any drugstore.It is designed to increase healing time for burn patients but works well for cracked hands also.It will help heal up the cracks in a hurry.
For a quick remedy I prefer crazy glue over the Nu Skin or other flexible bandage products.Crazy glue makes the pain from oxygen in the wound go away immediatly and prevents the crack from opening and closing.It does tend to make a new crack right next to it if your hands are really dry and callised.
Do you guys get that intolerant itching that no scratch will cure after freezing your hands after a day on the ice?

I deal with arthritis and the more cold I play in the worse it gets. Old broken bones and damages joints is the places it flairs up the worse in the cold. It really bugs my back, hip, knees, and toes. All have been tore up at one time or another. It will effect circulation in your hands and feet in time too, it has mine already.

Eczema is another issue when you get long term exposure to the cold and wet. Eczema is an hereditary condition but cold wet conditions bring it on. I have to watch out for flair ups, it hits me between the fingers and between the toes from cold wet conditions. It burns like fire and itch's like poison Ive if it blisters, not fun.

What I have taken to using is Bert's Bee's hand suave and for the past two winters I have not broke out even once, even though I am in the cold just as much.
bbhk.jpg
I dislike wearing gloves when fishing and the conditions I work in is prime Eczema producing stuff. Since I have been using this Bert's Bee's I also no longer get those deep bleeding cracks in my hands from fish handling. I had tried a lot of hand treatments from Udder Balm to Zims crack cream. The Bert's Bee's Hand Salve has been the best for me so far. I also founds it gets rid of heal spurs and scaly feet, no more cracked up feet now. It forms a nice waterproof barrier when applied before you head out into the cold. Good stuff!

Burt's Bees make a whole line of natural remedies stuff that is great. I like their shaving products,the lip balm is also good stuff, all natura. No chemicals or other my-mom-sees-this-my-mom-sees-this dump added.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

When I get cracks, I rub a little Carmex for cracked lips and put a band aid on ,it's closed usually by the next day.
warning it stings like mad at first to kill bacteria and germs.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

for cracked skin on fingers and hands go to local farm supply store and get udder balm. its what is used on milk cow teats to keep them soft works great just ask any one who milks cows