• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn-Kota Terrova 80#. with Built in Sonar

fish4itall

The MK-US feature adds a lot of convenience and diversity. It can easily adapt to new sonars just by swapping out the adapter cable. A very useful and accurate transducer that gives a very solid reading. Well worth the upgrade in my opinion.

I don't have one but have used one quite a bit.

I don't have any strong feelings either way about the universal sonar, certainly no complaints about it, but no complaints about the "old way" with a transducer clamped to the bottom of the trolling motor either.

About the Terrova over the PowerDrive, it was fine but I'm not convinced it merits all the extra hype and the higher cost. It deploys easily but I never complained about how PowerDrives deployed. I prefer the smaller footpedal on the PowerDrives. I'd say decide if you want the new features on the Terrova, if not stay with the PowerDrive and save some money.

Doubling your lbs of thrust --- nice grin

Good luck

I have the 70 V2 Powerdrive with AP/US2/Copilot and love it. It's nice being able to run sonar in the front and off the console at the same time. Before Universal Sonar, the two lowrance depthfinders would interfere because they were both on the back of the boat. Now they both run giving the guy in front and guy in the back the same information without having to ask all the time. You will also notice a huge difference in duration of use as the 80# will be a 24v system where the 40# was a 12v. The cable is a little steep at $20 for a 4" cable, but on the flip side, you don't have to run your own transducer to the back of the boat. I haven't noticed any difference in quality for marking fish. Looks the same. Last bit...GO FOR IT!

Im more concerned about the power, not as much the sonar. I was just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something screwy with that sonar built in to the base. From the sounds of it I'll take a look at the Power Drive. Maybe change my mind and go away from the Terrova. Thanks for all the info.