• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Mongro02

Mild Weather & Ice

Does anyone know how the mild weather affects ice?

How much ice will melt in this weather?

Thanks for any info...

We could have a week of weather like this without it really hurting the ice. We won't lose a bit, especially when night time lows are still under freezing. Don't fret, although if it gets really warm all you have to worry about is a little slush on the ice you have to walk through frown.gif

Warm weather is nice here and there, but not any good when it melts all the banking off you fish house. That's a chore I just don't care for.

Be careful if you have a dark colored perm shack. The sun will melt significant amounts of ice on the side the sun hits.

do not forget what happened last year about this time, 12" of ice, water and warm weather and wind. alot of houses took a swim last year, wind can cut that ice very fast. it could happen again. be carefull , i see some houses coming off Tetonka lake this morning aready.

[This message has been edited by hawkeye43 (edited 12-27-2003).]

Right now its just going to make it a mess more than anything. 3" of standing cold water is miserable to fish in, as even with waterproof boots and thermal socks your feet will still get cold VERY QUICKLY. I had an idea of bringing along with a tub to put my feet in when there is standing water on the ice; but I have never tried it...

Hopefully it freezes up before I am able to get out; which will be awhile anyways... I don't like Ice Fishing on standing water; it isn't much fun

I wouln't get too excited about this warm up ..forecast for later this week shows a storm then the typical artic front coming in behind it. If anything I'm going to move the house to deeper water this afternoon and get her up on blocks..nothing worse than trying to pry a house out of the ice after she's melted and froze in.

Use extreme caution now on any ice.

The rain and the insulating blanket of snow is working on the ice from top and bottom. Several reports of trucks and sleds dropping through already in ND and Western MN.

The rain and melt run off will make the shoreline darn risky fast.

Be VERY careful!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

east end 12 to13" the rest that froze up later has 10 to 11", the black spots that froze last has 4 to 5 " use your head if you go out, dont drive if you dont know

Anyone DRIVING on ANY ice right now is a idjit; there asking to fall in frown.gif 8 inches is find and dandy for walking but certainly not for cars. Even 12" is not good, like someone said, with this water on top. Think people, wait on the cars! It's not worth it!

The lake I've been fishing the past week has gone from 13.5 to 10 inches the past few days. There spots where surface water is draining through cracks and auger holes are growing rapidly. I saw a few auger holes that have water drining in them that are about 2 feet wide now. Be careful until it freezes back up!

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

Driving in my opinion is just plain crazy. I've seen enough weak and even open water on various metro area lakes over the past two weeks to know those guys are flirting with disaster.

Like Poutmaster said, the water on top of the ice is not a good situation. When you combine that water with high winds (yesterday), it swirls around holes and cracks and melts ice at the edges, expanding holes, cracks, etc. Same thing happened last year when all the houses started going through the ice. There is weak ice, so be careful and know where your going.

All I can say is warm weather stinks!!
If I liked warm weather I'd be fishing in the Florida Key's or Brazil or Australia. Let's all pray for 40 below!!!

I pulled my house into shore Sat afternoon, wasn't going to chance it, will move back out Wed afternoon if ice conditions are good.

I found 9in's yesterday on Bitter, where last week before the warm Fri. and Sat., there was 12-14.
be careful don't just think you can drive every where when some other FOOL is.

Down along the mississippi back waters the ice conditions very. Some spots have up to 8" and there is 1"to no ice in others. I seen a perminent house half tilted through the ice Sunday,so the warm temps have had some effect down in the S.E. part of the state. There were a few nights the low did stay above frezzing.