• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polar Sport Nordic vs. Otter Magnum

gspman

Hi guys,
I'm considering a purchase of one of these 2 portables. I'm looking for some input on advantages/disadvantages of one over the other. They seem very similar to me. The Magnum is slightly larger and the Nordic is slightly better priced. Both look very durable and have lots of nice features. Otter has the good reputation and Polar is also receiving good reviews on the board.

Does one pull easier than the other? I don't have an ATV or snowmobile so I'd be pulling these things on foot. When loaded with a motorized auger and all the other fishing gear would this be too much to pull for one man?

Thanks for the input.
gspman

i just bought a otter mag and love it, it is a really nice setup. i did have to make some custom seating though becuase i didn't care for the stock seat options, imo none of the companies make a good seat option. i guess you can say you get what you pay for as far as ice houses. anyway the first time i took it out i thought i was going to pull it by hand...........not in a million years would i be compelled to drag that thing anywhere. it is just not going to happen. the following week i went and bought an eskimo quickflip sport for fishing by myself, very nice. so if i go out to sit all day and can drive on the ice the otter mag is sweet but if you plan on being mobile, you should downsize quite a bit.

I would have to agree with joshb. I too have an otter magnum and it is a bear to pull by hand. But it's all worth while when you get it set up and start fishing. The biggest struggle I have is getting into the bed of my truck when it's loaded with gear.

There's only 3 ways to pull the Lodge.

1. On glare ice with ice cleats (glides like a charm)

2. With a wheeler

3. With a snowmobile

It aint going anywhere any other way.

They sure are nice to fish out of tho!!! smile.gif

Once the season is in full swing, I just drag mine behind the the truck. Saves me loading and unloading it when I move.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]
Marcum
Otter Outdoors
Stone Legacy

I went with a buddy last weekend and his new Frabill XLT. It took both of us to pull it - felt like we were dragging a load of sand bags. So I was a little nervous when I took out my new Otter Lodge yesterday - but it pulled like a dream. It was loaded with auger, 20# tank, and all the other required tools. I do have the Hyfax Runners - not sure if that makes a big difference. The lake had crusted snow with a few bare patches of ice. Waiting to see how it does when we get that new snowfall this weekend.