• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jig heads and bobbers

when using slip bobbers, do you have better results using a jig head or plain hook?? Does it matter what bait is being used?? Depth?? I almost always use a plain hook, so am I missing out?

This is something that I learned a few years ago. Use the small jig under a bobber with a medium to large leech. That catches more fish for me than any other method. I would caution you not to use minnows with this tactic. You really want to us a light jig though.

A small round leadhead as said can be a good choice, but don't forget about all of those jigs you bought for icefishing. Small jigging spoons are a tactic I want to try out this year under a bobber, fishing it in a slow popping motion back to the boat.

On a bare hook or small jig, make sure to keep the spiltshots at least a foot from the hook to allow the bait to swim freely. Also I have found that a string of small spiltshots works better than one large one.

Leeches are a good bet someplaces, but other places minnows (Fatheads or shiner) or even a half of crawler is the way to go.

Also, one thing I have done, while out on a launch on Mille Lacs (but it would work anywhere), is to weight my bobber so instead of riding over the waves, it plows through them. Usually this is the point at which your bobber barley floats, but what it does is keep your bait at a more constant depth, not moving up at down a foot and a half on every wave. It is great to see that bobber disappear into a wave and never come back out.

so no matter what bait I'm using, leech, minnow, whatever, that a small jighead works better than a plain hook?? We'are talking walleye, but would this apply to other fish as well?

The only time I use a slip-bobber and live bait anymore is with a jig at the other end. Regardless what specie I am targeting there will always be a jig. When I travel across the border to cheese land, one bobber goes out with an orange jig/minnow, out the other goes green jig/minnow and I will fan cast with my third line. If one color produces better then I will switch so they match. I disagree with the only light jigs work. I have found that the size of the bait dictates what size jig I will use (as well as the size of the waves I am dealing with). And if you have only small fatheads left, dont be afraid to toss two minnows at a time on the end of the line. Good luck.

What a small jig will do for you is allow limited bait movement, a bare hook will allow the bait to swim around more, and a heavier jig will almost anchor that bait in place. Also, if you use any split shot, how far they are from the hook will increase or decrease the amount the bait can freely swim.

It can really depend on the situation as to what one will out produce, I usually use a small jighead, it's a good compromise.

Bigger is not always better in live bait choice either, medium leeches can outproduce jumbos, and many many walleyes have fallen to crappie minnows. It depends on the conditions.

I am no expert but the only time I go plain hook is Lindy rigging in the summer. Even ice fishing I always use a head. Jig heads do not have to have much weight to them. I believe it causes your bait more stress than a plain hook and adds color. Thus a little more vibration.(easy prey to a preditor). A little color can make the difference also. I always stay with enough weight to get to the depth I want. Depends on current, waves and wind. My analogy is a police office with a radar gun. Most cars on the freeway 5-7 miles over the speed limit. A bright colored sports car coming down the road- I would bet that car will get hit with the radar.(it stands out).

I fish slip bobbers and minnows regularly and usually favor a plain hook. However, the plain hook is always colored (red or chartruse) and sometimes I add a bead as well for color. I seem to do better when I tail-hook the minnow rather than through the snout. For leeches I hook them through the opposite side of the sucker. They tend to ball up less and have more a natural swimming action that way. I use a larger split shot closer to the bobber and a small split shot about 8-10" above the hook.

ddsbyday, that is something I have never really thought of before, about making a minnow more stressed out with a small jig vs a bare hook, it does make sense though. I'd be stressed enough if someone stuck a hook in my back.

Although my uncle, who only uses plain hooks or very small jigs once said, "How many minnows do you see in the minnow bucket swimming around with a big orange jig in their back?"

Too often, I just go w/the various hook color deal, typical split shot setup, maybe a bead at the hook and a minnow in the back or the leech thru the sucker.

Everything in this thread offers brilliant ideas that make me realize how stubborn I really am!

That Ice spoon idea really clicks w/me as the winds have been so strong this year.

Now I really feel bad about my opener.

I am in the minority here. I favor a number 4 thin wire, bronze Aberdeen hook for most summer slip bobbers situation. I generally want my bait to move and swim around most of the time. A jig tends to anchor it in one place. On a very finicky bite after a cold front I may use a small jig to anchor the bait in one location to minimize the movement.

I have found that my hooking percentage is much higher with the plain hook as well. I am a very early hooksetter however. A little movement sideways or under and I am setting the hook. This helps avoid the gill or gullet hook. For some reason I have less hook-ups with the jig.

A fish is more likely to completly engulf a bait that has only a small hook holding it back, even a 1/32 oz jig adds considerable weight to a small leech or minnow, making it harder for the fish to take into there mouth quickly, if you have ever sight fished for walleyes, (ice fishing) they will slowly approach a bait, then flair their gills and take it all in very quickly.

I usually mix it up. Some rigged with jigs and others with hooks.

I normally use 1/16th or 3/32 jigheads with leeches. Oddly enough I don't fish minnows under bobbers very often. Mostly because I don't fish areas where it works as well.

mw