• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Door Spring Broke

DTro

I have never had to have a stretch style replaced, however 2 years ago I had one of my twist style springs bust on me. I had a local company replace them as it wasn't that much more than what I could buy two new springs for and I was also told it was a dangerous job to do. I watched the guy change them out and all I have to say is I'd personally never do it myself. Those springs are under a lot of load!

Stretch style spring, or twist style spring?

Stretch= do it yourself

Twist= Let a pro take care of it.

Is it above the door torquetion spring (sp) or the coil springs on each side.If your mechanically incline and read instructions well and follow precautions there both fairly easy the torque spring being more dangerous and tougher.

It has the two springs above the door opening in the middle.

I spoke with one repair tech. Sure, he'll get right back to me. That was 6 hrs ago......

I got into this a few years back. First thing I learned was that you have to make sure you get the correct replacement, and you have to replace both at the same time - something about a need to balance out the load. You need to make a couple of bars to turn the springs to tighten them. 15-18 inch 1/2 diameter bars. Make sure the cables are wound tight. Then tighten the springs but be sure to count how many times you move the spring end and do the same number of moves on the other side.

If the bars get away from you they can get pretty nasty. Be careful or have your brother-in-law do it for you.

Have a pro do this..

It can be done, but not recommended. I am in the construction business, and I hire all the doors done. Much safer and they don't charge much.

I'd also recommend having someone do this. I had one replaced a few years back and after watching the replacement I sure wouldn't want it getting away from me.

I have installed all 3 of my garage doors and two more at my parents. For me the springs where the easy part (a little tedious, but easy). Now hanging the track and lining everything up was the hard part.

It is up to your Dtro! I would price out doing it your self and have a garage dude come out. Step back and see what you are saving and if it would worth it. For me, I would say the magical mark would be around a $50.00. Anything under, it would be worth it for to have someone do it. Anything over, I would be doing it my self.

I like to save money and do things my self, but everyone is not like this.

Good luck dude and do not blow your scalp off!

No, I would say the biggest chance of injury would be during the tightening faze. One of the tightening bar tools could slap you in the head or arm, when you go to tighten the locking screw. You have more chance of gett the Bagebebe's scared out of you by something letting loose and the spring unloading. Just got to start back over.

You cheapo shack!! laugh

From my point of view, don't call someone out unless you plan to at least consider hiring them. With Diesel at almost $4.50 a gallon, it would be respectful to the contractor to be up front about hiring him/her.

I meant you call them and get a quote over the phone, but good add note Roofer. If they want to come out, more power to them.

Like you said, with the price of gas now-a-days, to live good you have to be cheap.

Thanks guys, I think I'll probably just pay someone to do it.

I verbally told a guy I'd like him to come over this weekend (said he could) and fix it, but I guess we define "call you right back" a little differently as I never heard back from him.

If I don't hear back from someone soon, I move on. To me that just reflects the type of work they will do. I think you are doing the right thing by having someone do it. I'm sure you could but in the chance you get injured is $50 worth not being able to fish all summer?

Well this morning I called Superior Garage Door blindly and his response was, "can we get it done today?"

um.....yeah

$200 and 30 minutes later I was back in business. Upgraded springs that are warrantied for 10yrs and I'm still in one piece.

Sure is a breath of fresh air to call upon services that know how to do business. Answers the phone, is polite and knowledgeable, and makes sure you are happy before they leave.

Thanks

Quote:
$200 and 30 minutes later I was back in business.

The mythical garage door tension spring has had a bad reputation put out on it in the years past.

Do one and you will see they are very gentle and kind when done correct grin

Dtro,

That is a very good way to look at it and I am agreeing with you more and more every year

grin

"Off set the expenditure" is look'in more better all the time cool

So you made the guy his fuel for a few days........

Don't you enjoy helping the world go round, rather than just worrying about yourself only, and saving a few bucks???

I understand this is a small project and a DIY HSOforum, but if we all did our own everything, we may as well go back to being farmers and trade with the natives. lol smile

Glad you got it fixed! Now you can rest easy it was done correctly and has a warranty.